CNN Vote: Assault Weapons Ban

I tought the US guys in LRH might like to read this email I received today.

To All,
CNN is trying to do a job on gun owners. They are doing a quick poll asking if the assault weapons ban should be lifted or extended. Since mostly liberals support CNN, the poll is showing a huge loss to our position. So, get this out to everyone you know ASAP to impact the poll. It takes about 30 seconds to link over and vote. Do it right away. The poll wont stay up long. And distribute right away to your friends.

We really need some help on this poll. So far we are losing almost 3 to 1. I think everyone is aware how much mileage the folks at CNN are going to try and get out of this if in fact the results show the majority of people want the AWB extended. Please take a minute to go to the site by clicking the link below and cast your vote.

Regards 700

<http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/05/09/gun.control.rally.ap/index.html>
Vote Here

I clicked the link and voted today. As of 0725 MDT, 51% of the votes are for LIFTING the ban! The word about this poll must have spread like wildfire! Either that or the people aren't as dumb as CNN thinks.

The way this article is written, it makes it sound like a 9mm pistol is an 'assault weapon' with an 'illegal' 30 round magazine. Only illegal in a few liberal states!
Obviously the current gun laws didn't concern a mental health patient (duh!). I forsee then next round of gun control laws to use this to their advantage and to try to take many more rights away. It will be a very long and hard fight!!
I am very surprised that the Communist News Network even mentioned the pro - gun rally at all.

I know that I am preaching to the choir here, but I feel a little less bitter after I do
grin.gif

[ 05-26-2004: Message edited by: gonehuntingagain ]

When I first saw this two days ago, it was @ 65%-35% IN FAVOR of keeping the ban. That was with about 140,000 voters. When it was just punched up, there were over 330,000 votes & still 52%-48% for LIFTING the ban.

If anyone thinks we can't reach out & be a viable force - quickly - is mistaken. As they say in Chicago: "Vote early, vote often!"
grin.gif

Can someone explain the intrest Americans have in owning "assault weapons", i dont see any real use for them, other than perhaps defending your home, and i think that a pump action 12 gauge would probably do a better job than most "assault weapons".

Mister Wombat,
Wake up and smell the coffee. There are other choice words I would like to post concerning your question, but I am sure it would be deleted.
rolleyes.gif

Immortal Wombat

No problem that you have some different views on it but here's my view.

I guess from my perspective the assualt weapons thing looks like this.

Firstly; what is an assualt weapon... the media would have folks think it's a rifle, shotgun, BB gun, peller rifle etc that looks menacing or will hold more than a few rounds in the magazine. Stick a pistol grip and a flash suppressor on something and it's automatically far more dangerous. They would also like folks to believe that all firearms classified (loosely) as assualt are full automatic or can shoot down a plane at several miles. Lot's of misconceptions with the term assualt rifle.

Second issue is the "slippery slope" problem. Once folks begin banning certain types of firearms it seems a bit easier to ban others or lump them into the previously banned types category. I don't care to have my hunting rifles banned as sniper assualt weapons simply because they have a scope and a fat barrel.

There are collectors in the States too and we can own National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons once they're registered and the owner has paid the federal tax (USD $200). These can range from full automatic rifles (true assualt weapons) to a simple suppressor for a 22RF.

It's a touchy subject as you might well know. It's one of those Second Ammendment issues "the right to bear arms" and it's feared that we'll lose that right little by little.

Hope this helps a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.