Clicks or moa ??

J

JEREMY logan

I use to count clicks and now I have an hand held that will give me clicks or moa adj. I was wandering what yall use and why , when my hand held says for example come up 30 3/4 moa or 30 1/4 moa and my leupold if I remember correctly 1 full rotation will be 15 moa adj. How do I figure mathematically the difference of 3/4 ,1/4 what's the fastest way in doing this? Thanks for any advice jeremy:)

Your scope is probably marked off in 1/4 moa increments so, 1/4 moa is 1 click past a full increment mark and 3/4 moa is 3 clicks past a full increment mark.

If you have to go up 30 3/4 moa just go up 30 moa, which in the case of 15 moa per full turn, would be 2 full turns from zero and then go 3 clicks more and you should be there.

For me it's way quicker to dial in moa increments, and full turns, than it is to count clicks. Don't even remember when the last time was that I counted clicks. I just like to do it quick and easy so I can get on with the shot and have fun.:)

Thanks for the reply, sounds easy now that you've explained it sometimes this stuff seems harder than it really is :)

Be sure that your scope actually adjusts im MOA instead of inches per hundres yards (IPHY)

1" of scope adjustment at 100 yards is 1". At 1000 yards it's 10"

1moa of scope adjustment is 1.047" at 100 yards. At 1000 yards, 1moa is 10.47".

okay ss7mm so when someone says their gun is a 10 MOA gun @ 1000 yrds then that gun shoots inside 10" if the shooter does his part correct.

Nope......1 moa at 1000 yards is 10.47" so 10 moa at 1000 yards would be 10x10.47" or 104.7".

For a gun to shot 1 moa at 1000 yards it would have to be capable of groups of 10.47" or less. A lot of guns and a lot of people can do it occasionally but to do it every time is something else. Just check the long range target scores.:)

Use MOA.

Clicks are iffy and not accurate unless you have checked to confirm what your scope actually is (not what it is marked). Too many people assume because it says 1/4 inch that means it actually is that. Same model scopes have been proven to vary quite a bit. check yours.

Darrell Holland has a good article on the articles forum about problems discussing this very issue and exactly how to check and see what your scope is. Dan Lilja has a discussion on this also on his website in his LR article also.

BH

I have been fighting with getting the trajectories more accurate in Laodbase 2.0 and this week the lightbulb came on that I don't have a MOA scope but a IPHY. Made the change and my predicted trajectories are much better. I need to check my exact amount of come up per rev. though.
If one is trying to predict a shot for a hunting situation then using the right value for you scope will make a difference.

Not to hijack the thread, but this is one of the reasons I'm working on switching over to all MIL/MIL based optics.

While keeping track of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 MOA isn't THAT hard, it's still one more little thing to keep your head wrapped around.

Working in base-10 units is just easier to deal with... you don't have to think of MILs versus clicks, because converting between them in base 10 just doesn't require any mental energy. 3.1 MILs is 31 clicks, or 3 MILs plus one click -- but really you don't have to think about it, because it's just how we're used to seeing numbers -- dialing 3.1 MILs is just... dialing 3.1 MILs.

I was resistant to MILs for a while, until I stopped trying to think of it in terms of MOA or tying it to Meters or something.

All it is is a ratio, and it works just as well in yards or meters or inches.

1 yard is 1 MIL at 1000 yards.
1 meter is 1 MIL at 1000 meters.
1 inch is 1 inch at 1000 inches :)
1 yard is 2 MILs at 500 yards.
1 yard is 4 MILs at 250 yards.
etc.

Once I stopped trying to make it hard by thinking in terms of MOA, I've found it a much simpler system to work in. This article is what started winning me over:
Using a Mil Based Scope - Easy Transition | Sniper's Hide

It's also nice not having to worry about "true MOA" vs. IPHY.

Please excuse my evangelizing :)

thanks guys for the replies . someone said on another thread if you put garbage in youll get garbage out. so i'm going to see what my scope actually tracks so i have the correct info for input ......

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.