cleaning the lens

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by kc, Dec 14, 2011.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

How do you clean the front lense on your scopes?

2. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I screwed a good quality UV camera filter into my 50mm objective lens to protect it and only have to clean it. There is only a very slight difference in light transmission which I can notice at 1,000 yds. I never have to worry about scratching the lens only the filter.

joseph

Attached Files:

3. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Leupold makes a neat magic marker like tipped pen that has a lens cleaner in it. But I found the stuff dries up quickly. Now I use spray on eyeglass lens cleaner, and wipe it dry with a Kleenex.

4. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

US Optics has a nice video/tutorial on their website. Acetone is what they have us use
    on their scopes. Email your scopes manufacturer to make sure it won't harm their
    coatings.

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

That's a very good idea. While antelope hunting I get tons of fine dust on the objective lens of my scopes. Pine needles and leaves are always dropping down on it while walking in the woods.

6. NW Hunter

NW Hunter Well-Known Member

Don't use acetone on a Sightron Big Sky scope!:D:D

7. gamehawker

gamehawker Well-Known Member

Can you please tell me where you purchased the quality UV camera filter for your 50mm objective lens?

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle and I would like to get a good quality UV camera filter for it.

Thanks!

8. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I got mine at Wolf Camera store or any other camera store. Mine cost about $12.00.

joseph.

PS: I took my rifle to the store and got permission to bring it inside to make sure the threads were the same size as the scope and to look through the scope with & without the filter.

9. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

Good idea. Could buy colored filters - yellow, gold,- for low lite and brite days. Same as leupold.

10. Bob J

Bob J Well-Known Member

Using a filter is an awesome idea! Thanks for posting it!