Cleaning Solvents/ Bore Damage

Wart Hog Bore Cleaner http://warthog1134.com/ is the best I've used. It's faster, cleaner and just as thorough as Wipe-Out, my previous favorite.

I read the web site. A few questions?

Do you just use cotton patches on a plastic jag? How long do you leave the bore wet with Wart Hog before following up with another patch? And how many cotton patches per cleaning?

Have you tried the Wart Hog after cleaning a bore with WipeOut, and did additional copper show on the Wart Hog patch? Thanks.

The WartHog included instructions are very comprehensive, but I also called and talked to the man who developed WartHog.

10 minutes for first patch. Number of patches depends on volume of shooting. Maybe 4 patches after a few hours of prairie dog shooting, with less time between subsequent patches. Sometimes I give it a few strokes with a nylon brush to loosen the carbon, and WartHog does a great job on carbon, too; so it is all the cleaner you really need.

I haven't tried it after WipeOut, but WartHog is faster and you don't have the mess with that damned foam...and Wipeout foam ate the finish on two of my rifles...I guess they weren't "modern" finishes.

I like Butches Bore Shine

+1 For Butches Bore shine.

After using any solvent I recomend removing it with a mild solvent and then oiling.

When I was in the military I was told the only thing you should leave in the bore
more than 4 or 5 hours was Hoppys #9 or oil. So I use Hoppys #9 to wash out the
Butches and then dry patch and push an oil'y patch through a couple of times.

I have not tried the wipe out but if it is mild it should be fine.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.