Cleaning Solvents/ Bore Damage

bigg_sexy1

I didnt want to steal Bwaites thread on "how long after do you clean" but I am curious has anyone on the forum experienced bore damage from cleaning solvents? What were you using? Had you been "soaking" the bore? Is "soaking the bore something that alot of you do? Or something that alot of you avoid?

I don't typically leave anything in the barrel for to long. The one thing I leave in there the longest is Kroil and if it were in there an hour that would be a long time.

Oh wait, I do leave the Wipeout in there overnight.

I've damaged bores with Barnes CR10. It's got a high concentration of ammonia. Any bore cleaner with ammonia can corrode your bore if left in there too long. The ammonia based bore cleaners need to be swabbed out and followed up with a cleaner and lubricating oil of some type. I've even corroded a stainless steel bore with Barnes CR10. Wanna buy some CR10? :D

When the ammonia containing bore cleaner starts to evaporate, the ammonia is a moisture attractor, and thus the corrosion to the bore. My non-stainless bore was nasty looking. I corroded it terribly, however it still shoots pretty darn good for a factory tube.

The original bottle of Barnes CR10 I purchased didn't have a warning on it about maximum dwell time in the bore. I still have the container. It also stated it was completely safe for bores. NOT. I really etched the bore on a Win M70 featherweight in 7mm Mauser big-time, and learned the hard way. The 2nd bottle of Barnes CR10 I bought did contain the warning on the label about too long of dwell times in the bore, and I didn't have any more problems one I became aware of the risks/issue.

I don't really use any ammonia based cleaners any more. The damage was too costly for me. Use Hoppes Ultra Gun cleaner to get rid of the carbon, and Wipeout for any copper if you can afford to leave the Wipeout in their overnight. Neither will damage your bores. I don't even use any brass brushes. Maybe a nylon brush ocassionally. Mostly just run cotton patches down the bore.

I like Wipeout. I use it with a Lucas Bore guide placed into the action which prevents the foam from getting back into the action area. Spray the foam into the bore and let it set overnight. Swab the bore out the next day with a couple patches and you're done.

If you don't need to get the copper out immediately, like during a shooting competition, then I say it's about the easiest way to get the copper out of your bores I've come across.

what is your opinion on wipe out compared to other cleaners?

I like it but I don't use it exclusively. Tetras has been very good to me and it seem to work well on copper and carbon. Kroil is my favorite for general use but doesn't work on copper.

I've damaged bores with Barnes CR10. It's got a high concentration of ammonia. Any bore cleaner with ammonia can corrode your bore if left in there too long. The ammonia based bore cleaners need to be swabbed out and followed up with a cleaner and lubricating oil of some type. I've even corroded a stainless steel bore with Barnes CR10. Wanna buy some CR10? :D

When the ammonia containing bore cleaner starts to evaporate, the ammonia is a moisture attractor, and thus the corrosion to the bore. My non-stainless bore was nasty looking. I corroded it terribly, however it still shoots pretty darn good for a factory tube.

The original bottle of Barnes CR10 I purchased didn't have a warning on it about maximum dwell time in the bore. I still have the container. It also stated it was completely safe for bores. NOT. I really etched the bore on a Win M70 featherweight in 7mm Mauser big-time, and learned the hard way. The 2nd bottle of Barnes CR10 I bought did contain the warning on the label about too long of dwell times in the bore, and I didn't have any more problems one I became aware of the risks/issue.

I don't really use any ammonia based cleaners any more. The damage was too costly for me. Use Hoppes Ultra Gun cleaner to get rid of the carbon, and Wipeout for any copper if you can afford to leave the Wipeout in their overnight. Neither will damage your bores. I don't even use any brass brushes. Maybe a nylon brush ocassionally. Mostly just run cotton patches down the bore.

I did try Barnes CR10, and Shooters Choice for a short period, but I was very dilegent not to let either of them sit in my bore. For as strong of a solvent that they seem they dont really seem to clean out copper any faster than Butches. Maybe its just me. I stopped using them when I switched to Butches anyways.

phorwath, I just looked and I too have a bottle of CR-10 without the warning its still full though.

When you get tired of seeing blue give Tetras a try it turns copper purple.:D

I have not seen or heard of Tetras before, perhaps if I ever find some I will give it a try. Always up for something new.

phorwath, I just looked and I too have a bottle of CR-10 without the warning its still full though.

When you get tired of seeing blue give Tetras a try it turns copper purple.:D

I do use Tetra Gun Lubricant. Is there also a Tetra cleaner or copper remover product? Is it ammonia free? What exactly does it say on the container? Maybe I'll check it out!

Hey, you're lucky your CR-10 is still full! Maybe it'll be a collector's item one day. What I think it would be good for is a substitute for Locktite! It you wanna make sure threaded connection will never loosen up, dip them in CR-10 befoe threading them together! :mad:

After my 7mm bore corroded, when I looked down the bore it looked like a dirty .243 gun) gun) gun)

Is there also a Tetra cleaner or copper remover product? Is it ammonia free?

Yes they do make a copper remover. Yes it contains ammonia, how much...I have no idea. It's fairly gentle though. I seems to be similar to Sweets but possibly a little less effective. I'm not into using the harshest stuff I can find. I have all kinds of time.

I'll get back with you on what it says on the bottle.

Ok, The white letters inside of a red star like shape on the front of the bottle says "NO ETCH FORMULA" I may be a sucker for marketing ploys but in my eyes this is a good thing.

The important stuff
Allow solvent to work on fouling for 15-30 minutes.
Do not induce vomiting if swallowed.:D

It makes no mention of ammonia but it smells like it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow-up on Tetra product MagMan.

jwp475 - I've heard pretty good feedback on Butches Bore Shine from others also.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.