Cleaning Rods: Stainless vs Coated

gator378

Opinions on cleaning rods would be informative. I belong to a Benchrest Club and some like the Stainless others Coated. The popular brands are the Pro-Shot Stainless and Dewey Coated. I assume that a Bore-guide would be used. I have seen some coated rods where the coating was in bad shape. I also seen Stainless where the rifling impressions were present on the rod.

And the debate goes on and on and on.......
I use both cause I have em.

JMO: I think that a good quality bore guide is vital.

Secondly and of equal importance is to ensure that the cleaning rod handle, if it must travel over the stock, must not introduce any bending even if the rod is supported at both ends of the guide.

Reducing the number of strokes to clean is also important.

Well, I just bought 2 one piece Tipton carbon fiber rods. One for a 22 cal and the other for a 7mm. I like 'em.
Are carbon fiber better than stainless or coated? Hell I don't know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I will second Roy's comment though. Whatever type of rod you use, use a bore guide.

I have been told by gunsmiths and machinist that a stainless rod in a stainless bore creates a milling type process which can ruin your bore. However I personally don't know I use Dewey coated rods and I have the rod holders with dewey bore guides.

I used to be a bore-guide basher, but have been bore again. bore guides make cleaning much faster/easier.

The rod is irrelevant. There is no evidence (but reams of anecdotes and illogic) saying xxx rods are best.

[ QUOTE ]
The rod is irrelevant. There is no evidence (but reams of anecdotes and illogic) saying xxx rods are best.

[/ QUOTE ]That depends on where you look and how well you understand what you find. Ask the barrel makers what cleaning rods they think are best for their barrels.

Hart and Kreiger both told me that any quality cleaning rod weather it be Stainless , Brass or coated works just fine as long as its used properly with the proper brushes , bore guid and handleing

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.