Cleaning loaded cases

Wow thats the worstest grammer me ever hear.:D

When you are 13, it's xcuseable......:)

I read with interest and restrained humor.....

I don't post much anymore but tumbling loaded amunition is just plain stupid for many reasons which I will not waste the time going into the detail. In short not safe, ruins concentricity if you had any, breaks down the powder coatings which destroys the burn rate and give very inconsistent pressures which as we all know does ?????? Of all of the hair brained ideas people have posted this is one of the top 5 lol.

I's dure like to know how it ruins concentricity? Maybe throwing against a wall does, certainly not tumbling.....

Far as breaking down propellant, I never knew it was coated with anything (learned something here)....and I guess it's been breaking down since it left the factory (in Hogdon's and Vitavouri's case, bouncing around in an overseas container for a month, slammed by UPS personnel in transit and probably slam dunked by warehouse people too.....

I don't have much hair anymore and what I do have, I shave off. I'm a skin headed old man and proud of it.

lol to you or at you......:)

Yeah it's like magic..."POOOOF" you have no fingers!:D:D:D

Oh man, if I looked down and saw my hand looking like that I would faint.

As for cleaning after sizing, I wipe them down then put them in the vibrating tumble to pretty them up.
I have never cleaned live ammo in a vibrating tumble, not worth it to me, a rag and some sort of solvent is what I do.

i think i may do an experiment. Take a reduced load in my 7mm-08 with H4895 (which hodgdon says is a safe load) then tumble two of them for an hour, two for two hours, and two with no tumbling at all and compare the velocities.

Keep in mind this reduced load fills about 50-60% of the case.

Riley...

I see you increased your age.....:)

When you get to be my age, you wish for a decrease....:)

My loads (223 wise) are about that volume (in case) as well. In my case H335 or H322.

I have to keep checking the tumbler in the shop to insure it hasn't self destructed, blown itself up or mysteriously detonated the rounds in the bowl....

It hasn't.:D

I have 400 rounds left to do BTW. I've done 600 in 100 round batches.

When these are done, I'll start another 1000 round run.

You can tell I like to shoot 223's.

I believe this winter I'll load a couple thousand 308's as well.

I'm 'stocking up' in case things get bad again.

Seems like everybody has their own idea about cleaning loaded brass...Mine is all hand cleaned but not in the volumes that some of you do....

Boss Hoss has some very good points that I agree with....I make special efforts to control seating depth and seating pressure...Personally I believe low seating pressures are a big factor in keeping my SDs low (single digits & teens).....If I drop a round (even a short distance) most certainly the OAL will change and bullets seated farther out in the case often will be knocked out of reasonable concentricity....Certainly tumbling some of my loaded ammo will be undesirable for me with light seating pressures and shallow seats...

On the other hand, loading a pile of .223 for rapid fire in an AR that has a pretty tight neck pressure and SAMMI COAL, will probably not be affected much by tumbling...Especially so if the 600+ yard precision that some of us strive for is not required....

Personally I wouldn't tumble loaded ammo for any reason.....My hand and eye inspected cases go through several cleanings during the process of one reloading and none of them are done in a tumbler...The first is with a clean cloth before lubing....The second is with a solvent (Kroil) rag only after sizing & decapping and inspecting the "dirty" primer pocket ...The third cleaning again with a dry cloth after trimming, primer pocket cleaning and a light brushing of the inside....After the case is primed & charged the final cleaning is done with a slightly damp solvent rag and then a dry clean cloth....Of coarse my volume of less than 2000 cases a year now allows me to do this easily....

A guy commented on the lack of luster of my handloads at the range compared to his "golden marvels"....I shrugged it off (even though they don't look bad to me)...He didn't say any more after we went down and retrieved targets....We both shot groups a little over an inch and we also both shot a group around 4"!.....His were shot at 200 yards and my two were 400 & 600.....

An actual primer strike to set off one is pretty harsh...I will not comment on the safety aspect of tumbling loaded cases especially if manufacturers do indeed do it....But safety first wins out with me on any questionable process....

Good loading & shooting,
Randy

No AR platforms here. In fact, I don't care at all for the AR style or platform. My 223 is of the target (100 yard benchrest) variety with a segmented ring 1.5" in diameter, scored on the ring, not the target itself, 10 targets to a sheet.

I actually shoot a very tricked out (by Accuracy Systems, International) Ruger Mini 14 target, setup to single fire, with no magazine.

BTW, I tumbled over 1300 rounds and boxed them last week. I'm not tumbling for shiny but for removal of any external deposits on tnhe brass such as case lubs that can carbonize upon ignition. After the final tumbling, I wear cotton gloves so as not to contaminate the cases when boxning them and I box in cardboard boxes with styrofoam trays

I worked up my load a long time ago and other than variations in powder lots, it's very consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.