Cleaning jags don't fit

The Real McCoy

I am trying to clean my Remington BDL .223. I have 3 different jags from reputable companies and none of them will push the patch through the barrel. The patch will just wedge into the barrel at the end of the bore guide. They are all .22 cal jags. The patches are cotton aprox 1 inch by 1 inch and the bag says they are for .22 cal. The jags will slide through with out the patch. So my thought is that the patch is to thick, but they seem to be the same thickness as the patches I use for my .30-06. Have any of you ever heard of something like this? I am thinking I might try a .20 caliber jag, but that just does not seem right.

Try cutting the patch in half. I had a similar issue, and that's what I did. I don't remember what brand the patches were but they were to thick, so I just cut them down a bit.

You can also place the patch on the jag off center. I have had occasion to have been using a jag/patch combo that was too large for the bore I was trying to clean and found sitting the patch off center on the jag allowed it to pass down the barrel. Not the best solution but one that worked until I could get smaller patches.

Standard .22-.26 caliber patches would often get stuck in my Savage .223Rem just ahead of the bore guide. I just trimmed a little bit off of them to make 'em work. It didn't take much.

I frequently use undersized jags with oversized patches. Using patches that are too tight or too small makes it hard to get the bore soaked with solvent. I think a 20cal jag is a good idea.

I frequently use undersized jags with oversized patches. Using patches that are too tight or too small makes it hard to get the bore soaked with solvent. I think a 20cal jag is a good idea.

+1

I use jags that are one or two sizes smaller and sometimes two or three patches because they
will get to the bottom of the groves better.

Plus I have a better feel for how clean the barrel is.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts