Cleaning Equipment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slopeshunter, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

I've got two quick questions about cleaning equipment.

1. Bore guide: should I be using one of these?

2. Cleaning rod: is there any difference between that standard 3 piece rod that you get in a cleaning kit and a one piece cleaning rod? I'm wondering if it's better to use a one piece rod.

Tks in advance.

2. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Well-Known Member

First question - ABSOLUTELY
    Second question - One pc. coated rod

3. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

Don't clean that gun untill youve got a bore guide!
    Personally, I like the 1 piece uncoated, proshot speciffically. You will find that shooters are pretty well divided into the coated or uncoated camps. both claim advantages to their preferance, and decry the other as inferior... but its more likley to come down to a preferance thing than anything else. If you just have to have a segmented rod, proshot makes the best of those as well. They fit together so well you can't feel the joint.

4. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Well-Known Member

I was using Pro-shot stainless 1 pc. rod until I started noticing rifling scratches on the rod. Scare the hell out of me. I got rid of the Pro-shot and switched to Dewey coated rod. It shows the same scratches but at least it is plastic.

5. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

if its getting scratched... that means its softer than the bore. However, im pretty sure all the various particulates are less likly to imbed in the steel rod than the plastic. Again... just my opinion.

6. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member