CLEANING AFTER SHOOTING??????

hillrod

Any thoughts on what to use to claen the barrel and how often to clean and which technique works best. I am new to this and just shot yesterday for the first time at 500 yards and was hitting clay pigeons and now I think I am hooked on this long range shooting and may have to step back to 1000 yards in a bit. Also any ideas on a good spotting scope? any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
tongue.gif

Rod, I clean about every 30 shots or so when at the range, but you don't have to clean it that much if your rifle shoots well with a less then clean barrel, thats something you might want to experiment with to see how your groups grow as the bore gets dirtier. While at the range I run a 1 wet patch, adding a little more down the barrel of Sweets 7.62 and let sit about 10 min. then 2 clean ones, followed by a wet patch of Kroil and 2 clean patches before I start shooting again. Once I get home I use 2 wet patches of Sweets and let each application sit about 15 min. and then scrub the bore with a brass wire brush before removing the second application of Sweets, which seems to help the Sweets along a bit, and then a wet patch of Kroil followed by a couple dry patches which really cleans any residue left by the Sweets, the solvents with ammonia seem to do the best job of copper removing but don't allow to sit in your Stainless barrels for more then 20 min. You can also try running a wet patch of 'Shooters Choice' Firarms Bore Cleaner before starting with the Sweets which is good for removing powder residue.
wink.gif
Jay

Rod, I clean, a little more often than the previous poster.
My Sako just wont shoot well after 20 rounds or so...but, like he said, maybe yours is differant.
I like Montana X-treme,first, using a nylon brush to get the fouling out, and then the Sweet's to get the copper out, as Jay mentioned.
Everybody is differant...good shooting by the way...sakofan..
wink.gif

Sorry, I didnt notice your question at the bottom, about spotting scopes.
I feel Swarovski is about the best spotter, "I" have seen, someone on here may have used better though...you cant go wrong w/ Swaro optics....sakofan..
cool.gif

Rod, And it all depends what round your shooting, Sakofan shoots a 300 Mag I believe and I shoot 6mm Rem. and 223, the faster you push the bullets and a less then smooth bore will determine how often you'll be cleaning. As far as spotting scopes goes the only one I've had any extensive time on was a(By coincidence only) was A buddies Burris Signature, I probably swayed him on that one, at any rate was a very nice scope at a good price, God, I just can't see paying the price for some of them europeon scopes/spotting scopes when you can spend alot less for equal performance or so it seems, but it all depends how much you want to spend, read all the tests you can find on the subject and compare if possible.
grin.gif
Jay

Thanks so much to both of you and I really appreciate the info. As I stated I am a long range vestal virgin and all this is still soaking in. If you jhave anyt tips let me know. By the way I am shooting a Winchester stealth 308 with a vari x III 6-20 scope with 175 sierra match grade in new brass. What do you think of the nickel brass instead? I bought 300 and am fixing to try a few of those this weekend with the varget powder? I am going to my first 500 yard shoot next weekend any pointers?????????? I do really like this and think this will greatly improve my huinting confidence when I get the chance to pull the trigger in the fall.
Thanks,
rolleyes.gif

Rod, Seems like you're on the right track with everything you have, 175 MKs, Varget powder, excellent combo. I've use/used nickel brass with no ill effects, but the only thing about them is you have to chamfer the inside of the necks to as smooth as you can get them because of the hardness of the nickel can scratch the bullets slightly but not to effect accuracy enough to notice, my model 70 '06' has avg. 1/2MOA with 3shots shooting 150gr BT with nickel brass and 50.5gr. Varget. Just keep an eye on the wind down range, a 10mph wind will blow that bullet 19" off course @500yds and know how much 1 click on your scope will move your POI, that would be 1.25" with that 6.5-20 Leupold at 500yds, Good shootin' you'll do just fine.
wink.gif
Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.