Clay Gun

Recon$$

My buddy is looking into buying a semi clay gun and has no idea what to buy. I could go on all day about rifles, but not shotguns. He is looking to spend 500 or so. Whats models should he be looking at. Essentially, what is the savage of the clay gun world. He is beginner and not looking for anything serious, just money well spent.

Thanks

The Stoeger 2000 is a great semiauto in your price range. It throws extremely well and basically uses the Benelli Inertia Drive system. My uncle and cousins like them so much they sold their Remingtons and Brownings and now all shoot Stoegers.

For the $500 mark, a previously enjoyed (a.k.a. used!) semi-auto would be the way to go. There are a lot of good choices out there, but gun fit is a big part of which SG to choose. Choices could include the venerable Remington 1100, Winchester SX2 or SX3, Beretta 390, 391, 3901 series. They'll all great guns to start with, can be used with all clay sports (trap, skeet, sporting clays), and can be competative as your friend gets better. I started out with a Beretta 391, and now shoot a Browning Citori XT as my skeet/sporties gun. I do have an SX-2 as my extra gun for friends/wife to use though. Good luck!

Also, as he's not hunting anything that looks back at him, there's no need to use any heavy loads. a 7/8 oz or 1 oz. load in #7.5 - #9 shot is all that is needed to break clays. No need to beat yourself up with recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.