Clam Shell Brakes?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by samson, Nov 18, 2008.

1. samson

samson Well-Known Member

Do any of you have some advice on a clam shell brake for a 300 WM? I have a Hart Brake on my rifle but it is still very dificult to see the hits on deeer sized game. I am not concerned about the noise because I wear electronic muffs.

2. longrange.270

longrange.270 Well-Known Member

I got a DE Brake on my 300 WM and it makes it feel like less then a 243. I can also see my hits out to 735 yards. His website says 70 bucks for them but he charged me 80 bucks for some reason. Either that or a Harrell brake. There 30 bucks. But if your shooting prone the Harrells will kick up dust and dirt. Its really all what you want to spend.

3. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I use a DE brake on my 338 Edge and it does a great job. I would recommend it for a 300WM.

AJ

4. samson

samson Well-Known Member

Thanks. Have any of you had any experience with the OPS INC brake?

5. squirrelduster

squirrelduster Well-Known Member

I have several different brakes that I have tried on my 300 win mag.

The OPS brake is a good one in that it doesn't kick up a bunch of dust when you shoot prone. The recoil reduction is pretty good. You won't see the hits on the deer size game unless you have a scope that is less than 15 power or so.

I have a defensive edge brake that works really well also. Seems to be comparable to the OPS brake.

I have a Gentry brake that really didn't seem to work very well. I had them leave the bottom blank so I wouldn't be kicking up dust. It is neither quiet or effective.

I have shrewd brake that is horribly loud. Ear muffs and plugs are required and then you ears still ring after a few shots.

Bottom line is the OPS, inc. and Defensive edge are the best that I have tried. I will be trying out the one Kirby makes to see if that is better. I too want to see the impact.

Good luck with your choice.

6. yzm19

yzm19 Well-Known Member

i have not used a clam shell brake but have been around then and they seem to work. i have a gentry brake and love it though the guy i bought the rifle from did not shoot prone so the bottem is open so i might get a d.e. brake to shoot prone.:D