Chrony Questions????????

deadend

Please explain what a chronograph does for me other than tell me how fast my bullet is traveling. Please use as many examples as you can think of to help me understand. I am a 62 year old dummy that shoot pretty good but wants to become a better shot and everything I read ,folks talk about chrony, chrony, chrony. Thank you all!!!

I'm no chrony expert so hopefully others will chime in here but, knowing what your velocity spreads are is important. One element to accuracy is consistent loads one after another. It's important to know are my velocity spreads 5 and 10 fps or 50 and 60 fps. So for example I fire 3 shots and chrony them at 2900, 2910 and 2906 I'd be pleased that inaccuracy on the target isn't due to vast velocity spreads. On the other hand if I fire 3 shots and chrony them at 2900, 2937 and 2948 then inaccuracy at the target due to velocities hasn't been eliminated.

Chronys can also be useful in load development for example comparing velocities from one brand of powder, bullet etc to the next.

As mentioned earlier, hopefully others will lend their comments on the subject.

I'm no chrony expert so hopefully others will chime in here but, knowing what your velocity spreads are is important. One element to accuracy is consistent loads one after another. It's important to know are my velocity spreads 5 and 10 fps or 50 and 60 fps. So for example I fire 3 shots and chrony them at 2900, 2910 and 2906 I'd be pleased that inaccuracy on the target isn't due to vast velocity spreads. On the other hand if I fire 3 shots and chrony them at 2900, 2937 and 2948 then inaccuracy at the target due to velocities hasn't been eliminated.

Chronys can also be useful in load development for example comparing velocities from one brand of powder, bullet etc to the next.

As mentioned earlier, hopefully others will lend their comments on the subject.

+1

There are some good comments on the Long Range hunting and shooting thread if you do
a search.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.