chrony beta

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by midwesthunter, Feb 17, 2012.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

I recently bought one of these models. I always used a buddies before when load developing. I was shooting some factory ammo through a 223 with 22" barrel. It was hornady 40 grain vmaz custom. Box claims 3800 fps from 24" barrel. Conditions were cloudy with the ocasional peak of sunshine. The five shots I shot through the chrony left me with a extream spread of 198 fps. fastes round was 3650+ slowest was 3452 fps? I also noticed that the fastest recorded round was the first shot then it got slower? Could this be the chrony or the ammo? I will be doing some load development this weekend so I will be checking to see how it varies with some hand loads. I'm just not all that familiar with chrony's?

2. Whopper Stopper

Whopper Stopper Active Member

Unless your reloading skills are really skewed, I put money on the Chrony being psycho. The three that I owned over the years often had me pulling my hair out. I just started getting by without.

WS

3. model70rum

model70rum Well-Known Member

I had the same chrony as you. I shot my 300 win mag with 210 grain bergers and it read 3050-3075. I thought that was a little high. My drops confirmed that I was right at 2900 fps. I bought a new CED M2 chronograph and it was right on the money at 2900 fps. My chrony beta now sits in a box in the garage.

4. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

He was shooting FACTORY AMMO.....geeze????

5. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Anything...and I do mean anything and everything will affect the readout. Sunshine...no sunshine...clouds...no clouds...etc. Bext you can do is find a "perfect" ( weatherwise) day and shoot them over and call it good.

Ive got a Chrony...same sort of "problems. I just use it as another gauge is all

6. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I've found using a white top easy up over the Chrony will give more consistent read outs.

7. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Hmmm?? I'll have to try that one!!

8. ToKeepAndBear

ToKeepAndBear Well-Known Member

I borrowed a buddy's and had the same issues with large ES and obviously erroneous readings with certain lighting conditions. Bought an Oehler 35p and problems went away. Now when working up loads have single digit ES numbers with good loads. It also has three screens to give secondary confirmation of any questionable results. I have not encountered any wacky readings yet in similar circumstances that would throw Chrony for a loop.