Chronograph ??

KQguy

I am getting ready to start load developing for my 7mmWSM,and I plan on chronographing each shot just so I know what's going on during the process.I currently have a $100 chronograph(PRO CHRONO DIGITAL).I am not sure how accurate it is.Would I get more accurate readings from a more expensive chronograph like a CED($200),or would I just be paying for extra "whistles and bells"?I don't care about all the extra little features,I just want to get accurate readings.Any input would be appreciated.

I have 2 choronographs, a Pact and the CED M2. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the Prochrono.
My Pact gives consistently higher readings. If you are only interested in 'relative' readings and are more interested in your velocity spreads, most Chrono's will work for you (just be consistent with your bullet placement over the sensors, same height/centered). If you want to know the actual velocity, I'd recommend the CED M2.
Your mileage may vary, but the velocities I get from the CED match my estimates from Quickload. The drop tables from Exbal using the CED velocities have always matched the drops I see in the field. So, in my experience, the CED is right on and the money. My Pact is 5% or so over.

Take some measurements with your Chrono and see if they match your 'expected' velocities and your field data (from a drops perspective).

Hope this helps,
AJ

Last edited:
AJ,thanks for the reply.My chrono alway's seems to read low,based on load data.I am just wondering if the SD's are as good or bad as it reads?I am thinking about upgrading to a CED,but wanted to hear from other people before I make the investment.

If I wanted to see how well one was performing, I would use 2 of them in series on the same shot. That would not tell you which one was bad, but would tell you something is wrong.

5% off, thats a lot. 3000 vs 3150 has resulted in many new gun purchases.

Probably unpopular on this site, but I have the shooting chrony, 65 dollar model. Never checked for accuracy, so I assume its within .00001 fps of true:)

KQ- I have a Pro Chrono Digital as well. Mine does not show the correct velocities but it will tell you if your load is consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.