Chronograph use question

phillietimothy

Hello all,

I have a question about chronographs. I have never seen one used. How and where do you set up the chronograph? Is the shot supposed to go through the loops(don't know correct term)? Do you aim between the loops? How far away should it be? Do you set it up on a tripod of some sort? Can you use one at a range? A brief primer would be appreciated. I know these questions are elementary but I don't know the answers. Thank you very much.

Tim

Yes, you shoot through the "loops". The specific chrony you buy should specify the distance. Mine requires 8-10ft for regular rifles and 10-12ft for magnums. I use the CED M2 and bought a inexpensive tripod from walmart that works just fine with it. I have only used mine a couple of times at a public range as I have my own range. There was no problem with me using it there as long as I set up and broke down during line breaks. Try to buy a tripod with leveling bubbles to check for level. I also find using my scope at low power is a good method to check bullet travel. Word of advice, make sure your scope is sighted before using. I made this rookie mistake last week when shooting a new gun and put a 300 ultra mag bullet through both eyes that amounted to a $100 screw up fee. Hope this helps.

chache,

Thanks for your reply. I am considering reloading for service rifle matches. The front sight on a service rifle is 2.6" above the barrel. At 10 feet, the bullet will still be beneath LOS. Can I aim - just under the diffuser, ensuring I will be between the diffuser and the body? Am I being too anal about this? Thanks again.

Tim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.