Chronograph told me what I already knew, now what?

VTbluegrass

Somehow I have accrued 3 of basically the same gun. I have my ancient 700ADL in 270 22" barrel with a scary high round count, a Kimber 84L Classic 30-06 24" barrel, and a Montana Rifle Co X2 in 7mm Rem Mag 26" barrel. The 700 stays because it has Mojo and its turned into the "if something needs shooting gun". The Kimber I wanted a lightweight short action rifle but found the 30-06 at too good a deal to pass up. Same thing with the Montana I was looking for an all-weather gun and found too good a deal. I just got a chronograph for Christmas and tested loads the other day with about 60 rounds of ammo to burn up.
My 270 loads I've used the past decade were just below what the book claimed shooting 4831 under 130 Bergers and 150 Nosler BT's( gonna finally use my CDS coupon). The 30-06 is chugging along with 168 SSTs around 2950 and since I just ran 137 Hammers in it to 3260 with awesome ES I am gonna have a new deer load. The 7mm Rem just left me thinking...meh. I ran 131 hammers but topped out at 3249 (IMR 4831 and 4451) and I have my 162 ELD-X with H1000 at 3060.
Running 10 to 15 grains more powder, longer barrel, heavier over all action I'm just not seeing what I'm getting here. So I was in the process of shopping for a scope for the 7mm but I am leaning towards backing up to punt and re-examine my options. I was hoping to get closer to 3400 with the 131 Hammer (think point and shoot beanfield rifle) but I didn't get there. So get a no crap magnum with a heavier barrel, maybe a break to make shooting tolerable or just get a manbun so at least one of my rifles isn't punishing to shoot. Something about selling a very accurate gun seems wrong but I just don't know where it fits my line-up.

I also shot my wifes gun, Camilla 6.5, to confirm zero since the last batch of Berger factory ammo 135 classic hunter had large rifle primers instead of small. That pencil thin 20' barrel, glob of bedding on the recoil lug, inexpensive little gun shot its 8th consecutive 5 shot group under 0.6MOA. This part has me looking hard at the Howa/Vangaurd line I stay factory.

Howa/Vanguards have done me well over the years. If I was buying a new rifle right now that was a normal off the shelf rifle it would be a Howa/Vanguard, Tikka, or CZ.

You can probably get the 131gr Hammers up to 3,300 fps or maybe more with RL19 on RL26.

If you go down to the 120gr Hammer Hunter then RL23 or RL19 will get you to 3,400 fps.

Don't know what barrel lenght you have but this also plays a role here, a 26" will get you a bit more over a 24".

What I like about the 7mm Rem Mag is the variety of bullet weights you can shoot, from a 100gr Varmint bullet to a 180gr VLD, these last ones pushed to 2,900 fps with RL33 or IMR-8133, that's some good elk medicine right there.

Stay safe

You can probably get the 131gr Hammers up to 3,300 fps or maybe more with RL19 on RL26.

If you go down to the 120gr Hammer Hunter then RL23 or RL19 will get you to 3,400 fps.

Don't know what barrel lenght you have but this also plays a role here, a 26" will get you a bit more over a 24".

What I like about the 7mm Rem Mag is the variety of bullet weights you can shoot, from a 100gr Varmint bullet to a 180gr VLD, these last ones pushed to 2,900 fps with RL33 or IMR-8133, that's some good elk medicine right there.

Stay safe
The same is true with the .30 Cal. I am a big bullet because where I hunt, antelope, deer, bear, and elk resides and fair game in most of the rifle season. I am currently propelling the 190 Berger at 2806 FPS out of my .30 Gibbs 24" barrel with RL-17with more room to spare. I am just playing around with powders I already have open. Not a slouch for a non-magnum, and I consider it a good elk medicine.

You gotta love choices!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts