Chronograph and timer reccomendations please

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by 4ked Horn, Nov 11, 2005.

1. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

I would like your input on a chronograph and match timer combo. I will mostly be using the chrono but would like the versatility of having an IPSC style timer as well.

Looking for simple opperation and a good value. I don't need the best but I don't want the cheapest either.

2. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

http://www.pact.com/mkiv.html

You have used this before - it is the same one that I have. I don't know about any others that are acombo like this.

3. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

Yep. Just wondering if there are any other options. I went looking and didn't find any.

4. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

You might consider getting a really good chrono like the Oehler Model 35 (proof screens, etc). Save some dollars by skipping the printer (pad of paper & pencil still works great), and purchasing a small IPSC type timer. In fact, I have one that Dillon sells that is new and I don't use! Just a thought.

5. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

As much as you shoot IPSC (Not in the last how many years?), maybe you should look at getting a kick-ass Ohler.

6. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    As much as you shoot IPSC (Not in the last how many years?)

[/ QUOTE ]

What? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (I only have time for x number of hobbies. When I start one up then one has to go. Right now it's LRH, Birds, ATVs. Next summer it might be Wave runners, ATVs and pistols. We will have to see.)

Unless I am missing something the Oehler and the Pact both tell me how fast my bullets are flying +/- some small degree of error. But the pact also is a match timer.

Midway: Oehler starts at $200 for two screen and $225 for 3 screen.
    Pact mark4 timer and chrono $200

The timer may not get used a ton right now but when the boys get old enough to shoot it will come in real handy.

7. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    The timer may not get used a ton right now but when the boys get old enough to shoot it will come in real handy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The things that are reasonably certain are tax increases and obselescence of any piece of electronic gear before you can get it out of the box.