chrono ?'s and more

splattermatic

chrono ?\'s and more

i have a chronoy master alpha chrono and have had some interesting results with loads.

some days i get one velocity and other days i get another.

what is the optimum conditions to get consistant readings ?

as an example, i shot my new 300 rum recently before an elk hunt and got 3382 for the first 5 shot group as an everage,
and 3405 for the next 5 shot group using 99 gr's of reldr 25 and a 168 gr barnes tsx.
it was pretty sunny, the chrono sitting in the shade of the over head covering of the benches and tempt was 37 degrees.
now fast forward to just a few days ago.
it was cloudy, chrono in same spot and tempt was 49 degrees.
i was trying out some 180 gr sst's with 97 gr's on reldr 25 and was getting 3220's to 3240's for velocity.
my friend shot some 300 wsm loads over it and was not happy with his velocities with 71 gr's of rldr 22 and a 168 tsx...
hhmmmm ???
so i fired 2 rounds of my 168 tsx's over it, which had previously shot the above velocities, and only got mid 3300 fps's...

what causes loads to shoot one veloicity one day and different veleocities another ??

also, where do i get new sky screens, mine are brittle and cracked at the joints, and would like to get new ones..

thanks all...

Re: chrono ?\'s and more

Were the 168 TSX's you fired on two different days from the same batch?

One thing I have noticed with my Chrony is that measured velocities tend to increase as the session continues. Some times I turn the unit off and on again to get it back to reality. I don't know what effect ambient temperature has on the unit.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.