Christmas is coming...

Ian M

I know, we have a hunting season first but I was thinking back on my favorite Christmas gifts from when I was a kid. One rules, the little Anshutz single shot rifle I got when I was 12.

Interested to hear of special Christmas gifts past and great ideas for getting our kids outdoor gear for this coming Christmas.

I'm thinking the little Henry rifle I got for our G-daughter is right up there, but what else would be an idea for a young sportsman.

Yup, looking for ideas...

I can't remember exactly how old I was (probably 12-13), but I received a Lee Load-All shotgun reloader and a shotshell reloading manual one year. We lived in a VERY rural area.

I experimented to no end with loads from that book, reloading a box here and a box there. The rabbits, pheasants, ducks and doves where NOT safe around our ranch.

light bulbIn retrospect, Santa probably brought it to save my parents money on shells :D

AJ

AJ,
I remember a long time ago my buddy got a 20 gauge Lee loader, we were so clueless we put in the powder, over-powder wad, the pellets and then the big wad on top, then formed a crimp. Went out to test the pattern and we got single holes, no pattern. Those were the days.

When my brother and I were probably 8 & 9 we had a couple rather large packages under the tree. The meat and potatoes ended up being a single shot 28 guage (Winchester I believe) with a Mec Jr press all set up for the 28 and plenty of components.

Years ago we handed it down to our younger cousin and I'll probably never see it again.....that is one of the ones I'd like to have back (for my daughter).

In the summer time we would load all morning and go shoot in the afternoon. If I had to guess we put close to 11,000 rounds through it when we were young having saved the 25 empty shot bags.

Last edited:
I was 8 years old and I got my first deer rifle.It's a matlin 336 30/30. that was my main hunting rifle untill I bought a 300 win mag a few years ago and it has been all downhill from there.

AJ,
I remember a long time ago my buddy got a 20 gauge Lee loader,

I started with a 20 gauge Lee loader.

BUT...your grandchildren already got their early Christmas present...a healthy grandpa!

AJ,
I remember a long time ago my buddy got a 20 gauge Lee loader, we were so clueless we put in the powder, over-powder wad, the pellets and then the big wad on top, then formed a crimp. Went out to test the pattern and we got single holes, no pattern. Those were the days.

Ha ha, how long did it take you to figure that one out? :D

I remember experimenting with buffer materials that we vibrated into the shot column. I read about stuff like that from a book by Brister "Shotgunning, the Art and the Science". I can still remember my mom asking me what I was doing with the Cream of Wheat !

I agree, those WERE the days!

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.