Christensen Arms Problems

Well I hope they figure out your problem, I had them put a new barrel on my weatherby 30-378. I had the action accurized, timmey trigger and brake. I mounted a S&B Mil Pm 3x12. The first day at the range I shot 1/2 and under at 100, with FACTORY 180 gr accubonds and 180 gr BT. The gun shoots great for me. good luck with yours. They seemed like good people over there to deal with I'm sure their not going to screw you over:cool:

Thanks Dirtboy, yeah they did seem very concerned with my problem and definitely wanted to get it taken care of. I just hope that its not a reoccurring problem, and it doesn't fail on me when I have a B/C elk/mule deer in my sights! When was your gun built? They said that they have made significant in house improvements with both equipment and staff since 2008...

@ 805, it was done in the summer 0f 2009.. what Had done was I bought a used accumark and had basiclly the same stuff done to it as their Carbon one custom, New barrel, accurized etc. The only thing I didnt get done was glassbedding. I had about $3200.00 into the rifle between buying the used one and then upgrading making you might as well say a new rifle. If I would of had them biuld me a new with MV action in their Carbon one I would have spent over $4500 considering the action upgrade for a weatherby was $700 and dont think that was a Mark V action. So if you or anybody you know goes to them for a rifle you may want to weight out upgrading a used or new factory one. My self I've already considered haveing a new barrel on my browing X bolt. Since you cant accurized the action on browings and their already glass bed, You take the cost of a stainless browning stalker about $900.00 throw a shilen Carbon barrel on it with a brake for about 1,200. and for about $2100.00 you got their upgraded browing action carbon one custom, Now you tecnicaly get the 1/2 garuntee, But its same gun for less the half the price. They told me I would have a shooter and it is..gun)

Myrifle30-378006.jpg

Let's get real... $2500-4500 for a 0.5 MOA gun is ridiculous... For that kind if money they better shoot way better than that... That's why I think the whole carbon fiber idea is B.S. All my other custom guns without carbon fiber have no problem grouping less than 0.5MOA, so what's all the hype adding a heat retaining shroud around a perfectly good barrel?! I'm gonna sell mine when I get it back...

There are many custom gun biulders that are good, but are not on the scale that Christensen is. If one of those custom gun biulders kicks the buckets who going to warrenty your gun? How many of those gun makers garuntee 1/2'' groups. Thier giving you I' have heard of guy that have bought Christensen arm rfiel that are shooting smaller than 1/2. The retaining heat thing I could understand, but I haven't seen any factaul test stating that it retains heat. Do you have proof of that? They advertise That it is stiifer and stronger than steal. I would say that if it did heat up, the barrel would warrp less in repeated shots, because of its strength which means greater accuracy. As far as the money. You take companys like Mcmillan, Lazzeroni, Borden, Banser Ult. Etc, 1/2 garuntee would be your best. Its what you do with rifle after that. Also consider any of those companys you will pay $4-5000.00 easy for that accuracy garuntee. and why is because their doing it as there main source of buisness. Yeah you can go get someone that has a nice little shop set up in there back yard that will biuld you a nice accurate rifle, but they dont have the employees nor overhead to pay. I've look into these gun for over a year before I went with it. Their are also other consideration to figure, Could it be the shooter, The scope mount, the rest, Some guys cant hit it if you tape the target to the end of thier barrel. If you are asking about why with carbon, I guess you haven't talked with The company themselves or you would know and wouldnt be making statment you no nothing about on here as to why this and that. The 2,500 4500 which model did you buy? Their cheapest one is about $1,850 No accuracy garuntee, factory barrel etc. You got all these other custom rifles that shoot. Who made them? IF you think $2500.00 is to much for a 1/2 moa gun, post some pics of all your custom guns and company that made them and how much, This way I can consider them for my next build.:cool:

I have their Custom 1 rifle. I think I payed $4500-4700 back in 2008. It has all the bells and whistles, except for the fact that its whistle is out of tune! I am a big fan of McWhorter Custom Rifles. Tim McWhorter builds nothing but the best, but you will pay for them. When you purchase a rifle from him, you get a rifle ready to go. They properly break them in, and do all the load development. They guarantee 0.5 MOA but ALL their guns shoot in the 1s 2s &3s, depending on caliber/cartridge. They cost between $4500-5500. I have one of their .338 LM and wouldn't sell it for anything...
I will get you some pics... Also Quarter Minute Magnums, they are out of Idaho and they GUARANTEE 1" groups @ 400 yrds. That equates to 0.25 MOA. They are probably the best value gun out there right now, and they can shoot! I think a 7mm Mag goes for about $2850. I believe he uses Bat actions, Krieger barrels, Jewel Triggers, and McMillan Stocks... What else can you ask for in a custom gun? I would have no problem putting either one of these guns against a Christensen, and I don't think they would either... But at the end of the day you are correct. The average person would have a hard time shooting such groups even if the gun could do it, unless the gun was locked down in a vice. Usually groups at 1/4 MOA or under are that of luck at such yardages anyway.

Yes, and I know exactly why they , Chrsitensen Arms (CA), group poorly, its the barrel. We have done a number of experiements with them and the bottom line is the barrels have major issues with resonance or whip, its the way the carbon fiber is mated to the barrel liner is one problem. The other is they take a shilen blank and turn it down too far and too fast ruining the barrel tolerances, and they don't use the select match grade of barrel on the custom seires but the cheaper match grade. I've had a number of them, and none have shot consistantly over time and temperature. Some have shot like a 1/3 MOA, but the next time you take them out with the same load and conditions they'll shoot 2 MOA! All of them have had tight necks in the bore, We've tried lapping them, mating them to custom actions, recutting crowns and nothing gets them to shoot well. Another problem is the barrels will move with temperature, 1st group shoots dead on the target area, next group shoots 2 inches to the left etc. This is due to outside of the barrel sleeves not being concentric with the bore. We take them on trade all the time for our custom rifles. Our high velocity custom rifles shoot near one hole groups consistantly over temperature always, the CA's never do. I could write a book on this subject but time limits my response, any other questions you can call our offcies at 801-796-9395 or visit our website at www.utahrifle.com

hope this helps,

Michael Gerulat
President - Utah Rifle LLC

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.