Christensen Arms Problems

805_Sniper

Has anyone who owns a Christensen Arms rifle had a problem with them grouping poorly? I have one that will not group consistently at all. I have tried replacing the scope, scope rings, and bullet development... I have bore scoped the barrel and everything checks out ok. I'm wondering if their carbon fiber barreling is just a gimmick. For the amount of $$$ they cost, one would think they would shoot sub 0.5 MOA all day long... Any thoughts?

i own two my custom one is the best rifle i own!!! i've had problems with my boys but that issue was the feed ramp. and they took care of that. what cal and factory or reloads??

.300 Ultra Mag., reloads. I've tried everything for loads, even use a hyskore shooting bench. Never had this much of a problem with any of my guns...

wow i have the same cal . reloads are rem brass fed primers 215m retumbo 92.0 gr berger 210 vlds. group very well . i cant remember is this their match grade barrel

when your wrapping carbon fibre with a little skinny barrel underneith is fine with normal magnums and nonmagnums, the problem with the 300 ultra is it heats up the barrel too much because the steel is so thin and will actually burn the barrel out in around 200 rounds, now that is just what I read from a few people and I can't remember on which site.

Notice how the barrel never gets hot when when shooting one? Where is the heat going? It can't just disappear. That's why they only last 200 rounds.

I saw the wrapped barrel years ago on a hunting show and got excited after researching it I will stick with a little more weight, better accuracy and longer life.

when your wrapping carbon fibre with a little skinny barrel underneith is fine with normal magnums and nonmagnums, the problem with the 300 ultra is it heats up the barrel too much because the steel is so thin and will actually burn the barrel out in around 200 rounds, now that is just what I read from a few people and I can't remember on which site.

I have sent it back to Christensen. They informed me that the gun smith that built my gun back in 2008 was fired and now works for Huskemaw scopes in Cody WY. They said that they would figure out the problem and make it right... I commend them for standing behind their name.

My concern is exactly what HAWK has said. 200 rounds? I understand that if you hype these 190gn. Berger's 3200+fps its gonna take a toll on barrel life, but 200 rounds? I am not exactly sold on the whole Carbon fiber thing anyways. It seems as though it would help retain heat v.s. help dissipate it? Isn't Carbon fiber an insulator?

That is a Pantload ---- no way unless you fired 200 rounds in 5 minutes or some other form of abuse...

Look up on this very site (300 ultra mag ABS barrel review) Maybe a one time thing maybe not? But not a pant load.

Look up on this very site (300 ultra mag ABS barrel review) Maybe a one time thing maybe not? But not a pant load.

What is the advantage of a carbon fiber barrel? Harmonic dampening? Weight? Looks? Their guns don't shoot any better than McMillan, McWhorter, or Quarter Minute Mags., and I think they cost way to much for what you get... I could have bought 2 Quarter minute Mags. for the price of my Christensen, and guaranteed to shoot 0.25 MOA. I think in theory the idea sounds great, but reality is reality and I'm not sold on it...

Well I hope they figure out your problem, I had them put a new barrel on my weatherby 30-378. I had the action accurized, timmey trigger and brake. I mounted a S&B Mil Pm 3x12. The first day at the range I shot 1/2 and under at 100, with FACTORY 180 gr accubonds and 180 gr BT. The gun shoots great for me. good luck with yours. They seemed like good people over there to deal with I'm sure their not going to screw you over:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.