Choose me a caliber, build me a rifle

You can never go wrong with the 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag for everything and anything...two fine cartridges that have stood the test of time without question, either will level anything YOU can hit at any distance you can hit it at..

Thanks for all the responses, out of the calibers that's been suggested I feel like the .300 WM or one of the 7's pushing a heavy bullet would give me close to the barrel life I'm looking for as well as the distance. I like the idea of the 6.5's but feel like they might not be quite as versitile. I've been offered a spot on a moose hunt the last couple years so this rifle might see a couple larger critters than deer. I know these and even the 6.5 calibers are more than capable. Also I know that I'm asking a lot of of ONE caliber/rifle. I would just be shooting extreme distance for fun once in a while, but want to be able to actually do it, not just get lucky. Kinda like buying a 1 ton truck as a daily driver , but buying it because I pull a camper 2 times a year. So I agree with those who said I'm asking a lot for one rifle. If I were wanting to do a BUNCH of extreme range , I'd step up to a more suitable setup, and it would be dedicated to such. Now with all that said, what are some opinions of optimal barrel length and contour for these calibers and why? I love learning and hearing everyones opinion and reasons why. I don't think I want a super long barrel 26"+ but if it would give me a reasonable amount of more performance I would go for it. I have a 28" barreled .308 and its a bit unwieldy. Again thanks for all the responses!

Thanks for all the responses, out of the calibers that's been suggested I feel like the .300 WM or one of the 7's pushing a heavy bullet would give me close to the barrel life I'm looking for as well as the distance. I like the idea of the 6.5's but feel like they might not be quite as versitile. I've been offered a spot on a moose hunt the last couple years so this rifle might see a couple larger critters than deer. I know these and even the 6.5 calibers are more than capable. Also I know that I'm asking a lot of of ONE caliber/rifle. I would just be shooting extreme distance for fun once in a while, but want to be able to actually do it, not just get lucky. Kinda like buying a 1 ton truck as a daily driver , but buying it because I pull a camper 2 times a year. So I agree with those who said I'm asking a lot for one rifle. If I were wanting to do a BUNCH of extreme range , I'd step up to a more suitable setup, and it would be dedicated to such. Now with all that said, what are some opinions of optimal barrel length and contour for these calibers and why? I love learning and hearing everyones opinion and reasons why. I don't think I want a super long barrel 26"+ but if it would give me a reasonable amount of more performance I would go for it. I have a 28" barreled .308 and its a bit unwieldy. Again thanks for all the responses!
barrel length is all about how much powder is allowed to burn. which effects velocities. Most people go with a 26in barrel on a 300 win mag, because that is all that is required for maximum powder burn, and getting optimal velocities. contour i think is more subjective, but i will say this. heavier barrels, like the m40 profile, will not whip as bad. they can also disperse heat a lot better, and you will want that with a magnum cartridge at the range. Sucks to carry around? sure. I had to do, everyone else can to. now something thin and pencil like...you'll usually notice all over the target...good enough for a max pbr but maybe not so much for a respectable distance shot.

I think 26" plus brake is a nice length for magnums.
I like a .7 to .75 muzzle diameter type of barrel. It blends barrel stiffness for lr hunting and carry weight. You sacrifice ability to make repeated shots at the range but for hunting is quite nice. Depends on which you are going to shoot more

I am wanting a heavier barrel on the rifle for better accuracy, I guess what I meant was a straight bull barrel or more of a varmint countour that had a slight taper. Is there any benifit to one over the other? One will obviously weigh a little more, but does that extra weight give any benefit? Sounds like there is no reason to have a barrel Beyond 26". Thanks again

I am wanting a heavier barrel on the rifle for better accuracy, I guess what I meant was a straight bull barrel or more of a varmint countour that had a slight taper. Is there any benifit to one over the other? One will obviously weigh a little more, but does that extra weight give any benefit? Sounds like there is no reason to have a barrel Beyond 26". Thanks again
intereting subject is the original factory barrel was like .850, remington varmint magnum, and it was just fine, shot sub moa and was light enough...i dont see anything wrong with it. however, nothing to do with our discussion but the ****** factory barrel burned out after around 700 rds. i think that was more of a remington quality thing.

Just to be clear on the tubbs final finish the only time I woukd use it is on rough factory barrel with a rough throat and bore. Even then as I mentioned only the less agressive grit bullet sets. I wohld never touch a custom barrel with them personally. A good smith and barrel maker when everything is done right should leave only minimal shooting to break in a barrel IMO. I assumed as we are talki g about owner lapping barrels we were o ly speaking of cheap rough lower end factory barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.