cheek pieces

300 ultra

I have a HS Precision sporter stock and I was wondering about if I can put an adjustable cheek piece on it. I put my first 50mm objective scope on a gun and I DONT THINK I WOULD DO IT AGAIN. It does not feel comfortable to raise my head to see through it. I havent used a adjustable cheek piece either. But it seems like a good idea. Does anyone have similar problems?

I have a HS Precision sporter stock and I was wondering about if I can put an adjustable cheek piece on it. I put my first 50mm objective scope on a gun and I DONT THINK I WOULD DO IT AGAIN. It does not feel comfortable to raise my head to see through it. I havent used a adjustable cheek piece either. But it seems like a good idea. Does anyone have similar problems?

I'm bettin' that you will change your mind a) when you get that cheek piece and get it adjusted for you and b)when you get in a poor light situation. The 50mm will out do the 40s. It's a little be iffy if a 50mm is "that" much better than a 44mm though.

I'm having a build with a 56mm objective scope without an adjustable cheek piece, to save weight. I'll be ordering one of the DE adjustable cheek pieces when the time comes.

Good luck and good shootin'

X2 on the Defensive Edge cheek piece. I have it on one of my rifles that has a HS Prec. stock and I couldn't ask for it to be any better.

How many dead animals would you like to see that have been killed with DE cheekpieces and 56mm scopes?

Bobs20092.jpg

pig07_edited.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Is it a do it yourselfer to put the cheekpiece on or do I need a smith to do it. Any thing I need to watch for if I do it myself.

For some people it's DIY. For others, not!

The trick is to get the exit hole on the off side to come out exactly where you desire, exactly.

There is a trick that some have used.

Do all drilling with a drill press.

Drill a small counter sink centered at the exact point(s) on the off side.

Mark your entrance point.

Place a ball bearing on the drill press table exactly centered on the point of the bit. Use vise, etc.

Then set the counter sink hole (bottom side) on that ball bearing.

Hold the entrance make exactly centered on the bit. (This is why some if not most use gunsmiths)

Drill the hole and it will be where you wish.

That's the best I can explain it. I'd practice on some rough lumber until you get comfortable with it.:)

Once you're comfortable and do the first one you will be as much of an expert as anyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.