Checked for C.O.A.L. in my 300 RUM

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dmproske, Oct 27, 2008.

1. dmproske

dmproske Well-Known Member

After reading the threads on cartridge overall length I checked my Sendero SFII in 300 RUM. I came up with 3.861 to the lands!! I used the method shown in the Hornady LNL thread by loading a dummy round long and closing the bolt on it pushing the bullet back in the case.

I have the Hornady gauge enroute in the mail. Will compare my results to it when it arrives.

Anyhow. Anyone here with stock sendero's in 300 RUM have that long of a throat? No mine is not shot out, less then 50 rounds through it.

2. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

All factory RUM's have long throats....its called freebore.;)

It's normal.

Sorry I misread your first post.

3. Deadman's Pointers

Deadman's Pointers Member

Mine's sitting at 3.78" according to the 'bullet push test'. The real question is how far forward should we be seating the bullet to try to make up the difference...

4. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Depends on whether or not you want to use it as a repeater. If so you're pretty much limited to 3.67" or so. If you want to try it as a single shot I'd start .05 off the lands and progressively move forward. Don't forget to adjust your load because moving the bullet toward the lands will increase pressure.

5. Deadman's Pointers

Deadman's Pointers Member

If the factory Sendero guys went with the Wyatt's extended box mag, couldn't they get approximately .100" more on the bullet seating?

Unfortunatley, I'm not familiar with the installation; I'm sure there would have to be some modification to the receiver and bolt stop. It may be worth it to get that much closer to the lands.

6. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Yes, you could get close to 3.8" I believe.

There is some modification but I would contract that to a qualified smith.

I'd see if your rifle likes them close to the lands and if it does I'd probably spend the money and have the extended box installed. There is a lot of people around here who can do it for a reasonable price.