Checked for C.O.A.L. in my 300 RUM

dmproske

After reading the threads on cartridge overall length I checked my Sendero SFII in 300 RUM. I came up with 3.861 to the lands!! I used the method shown in the Hornady LNL thread by loading a dummy round long and closing the bolt on it pushing the bullet back in the case.

I have the Hornady gauge enroute in the mail. Will compare my results to it when it arrives.

Anyhow. Anyone here with stock sendero's in 300 RUM have that long of a throat? No mine is not shot out, less then 50 rounds through it.

Depends on whether or not you want to use it as a repeater. If so you're pretty much limited to 3.67" or so. If you want to try it as a single shot I'd start .05 off the lands and progressively move forward. Don't forget to adjust your load because moving the bullet toward the lands will increase pressure.

If the factory Sendero guys went with the Wyatt's extended box mag, couldn't they get approximately .100" more on the bullet seating?

Unfortunatley, I'm not familiar with the installation; I'm sure there would have to be some modification to the receiver and bolt stop. It may be worth it to get that much closer to the lands.

If the factory Sendero guys went with the Wyatt's extended box mag, couldn't they get approximately .100" more on the bullet seating?

Yes, you could get close to 3.8" I believe.

Unfortunatley, I'm not familiar with the installation; I'm sure there would have to be some modification to the receiver and bolt stop.

There is some modification but I would contract that to a qualified smith.

It may be worth it to get that much closer to the lands.

I'd see if your rifle likes them close to the lands and if it does I'd probably spend the money and have the extended box installed. There is a lot of people around here who can do it for a reasonable price.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.