Check this out people

DB

Maybe a cement block at 12 feet above the buck when he comes in.

Drop it right in the middle of his back and when the buck goes down from a broken back, swing out of the tree with knife in teeth and slit his throat.

Now that's hunting.

Later
DC
grin.gif

DC who needs a cement block it is to heavy just jump out of the tree with the knife in teeth you want to use a small knife to make it challenging 2 inch blade should do
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Crow Mag

Crow mag

Now that's really hunting.

I can see it now.
Holding onto that buck with one arm and using a 2" knife in the other.

Got to have a tape of that one.
grin.gif

Will have to work on it.

Later
DC

DC/CM

Have thought about it several times, especially when the adrenaline starts flow'in...I think I can...I think I can... Then fortunately, sanity returns. Good to see I'm not alone in this.
Good Hunting,

db

I really did like the cement block thing.

Shows who really is the cromagnum man ... (Maybe that was a complement?)

Evolution hasn't made it too far in there neck of the woods ...

Should ask them if they have seen any sabertooth tiger or wooly mamoth lately.

Maybe they chase the deer until they run off the cliff and fall to there death too ...

Doug

Also that threat of walking home, they just don't get the fact that you would see them a mile and a half away. They wouldn't jump from the spotter shot either, it would just sound like a nut or branch hitting the ground.

Im kind of a resident "lurker" here, and moderator at one of the Tactical forums (www.snipersparadise.com) However I do follow these threads where "Joe Hunter" goes out of his way to over verbalize what is and isnt "Ethical" hunting.

First of all, I support and will continue to support LR Hunting, and Competition until my dying breath. I'm not a Benchrest person, nor will I ever be, it's just not my thing...

What is evident through threads like the aforementioned one, are these guys are the ones who think that a custom rifle is a Rem 710 from WalMart, a high end custom is a Rem BDL where the scope wasnt included in the package so they mounted a tasco 3-9 on it and had to have the counter guy get out the fisher price collimator.

These are the same guys who come into the gunshop while Im workin on mine or a friends Tactical rifle, and snickers when they find out that the tapered Badger Ord base on my rifle cost more than their optics on their high end custom. Funny thing is that in the presence of shooters, they are always the ones who have to be "Mo better" than whatever you have done....Know the type? If we are holding a conversation about shooting UKD out to 1100 and reading wind........They almost always have a close family member who is a Navy SEAL Scout Special Delta Force Sniper who did bigger and better just last week.

Funny, they are always the ones who are so well versed in their Military Sniper history, that they know Carlos Whats his name....but never heard of Chuck Mawhinney or Kugler...and still to this day believe that the shot on the VC kid on the bike was a cold bore shot from a Win Mod 70 in 30-06...

These are the same guys who believe that a "Wildcat" cartridge is a 270, these are the guys who are too lazy to become anything beyond 100yd masters....and a good group for them is MOPP (Minute of Paper Plate) at 100 yds, or however far it was before they got winded.....Which was usually 10 yds....They are too lazy to put the trigger time in working with their weapons and learning to accurately read wind variances based on terrain features...and heaven forbid they should have to get accurate log book dope in different hunting areas...

To them, they are legends in their own minds, and the only true hunters worthy of hunting game in the woods or plains. IMHO, they are sad, they symbolize the part of humanity that has stopped pushing itself towards excellence, and improvement.

Make no mistake, its the LR side of the house that keeps pushing the edge of the envelope...Just think.....ten years from now, some pogue windbag is gonna be bitchin at some of yuse guys for takin game at 3000 or 3500......

Oh well sorry bout the rant......

Bruce bka TeamSasQuatch www.snipersparadise.com

You guys know nothing of ethics.... for God's sake, a good hunter needs NO implements.

A REAL hunter just runs 'em down afoot, throws an arm around their neck, and wrestles 'em to death
grin.gif
grin.gif

TeamSas

Welcome aboard
Thanks for coming on this forum and stating the very good comments you just made.

It seems we are always defending our way of hunting to bone heads that, as you said, don't really know much about accuracy and as long as it hits a paper plate at 50 or 100 yards, thats good enough.

They have NO idea what we have in the way of equipment, to make those long shots with, and NEVER will.
They have NO idea how much trigger time it takes to make those shots either.
I doubt if they have the knowledge to understand the ballsitics envolved and how to figure the clicks, drops and loading procedures needed.

Maybe we as Longrange hunters should all remember the phrase;

"How can we soar with eagles when we're surrounded by turkeys"??????

Take care and welcome
Darryl Cassel
smile.gif

First off I aint here to cause a stink, just to talk about this, away from putz's who want to legislate away stuff they disagree with. Boyd, you did commendable under the circumstances, I might have asked him if he wanted to attend a duel as a participant.

Bruce,

I think far and away on the people that inhabit that board, you are wrong. Most are not involved in any way, shape or form in that thread, some don't agree with hunting this way for personal reasons, but they kept their mouths shut. I do have ethical concerns, which Boyd and a couple others have talked about and listened to. I don't own a 710, never had the urge.
grin.gif
Or a few other pieces of crap; oops I mean fine firearms. I also don't have a budget that allows me a safe full of $7,000 custom guns. I just stick with either a shilen barreled .270 winchester on a mauser action, with some 135gr sierra match in front of some H1000, or my newer purchase a Sendero in .270 Winchester. Incidentally I choose the caliber because of its efficient use of powder and that sierra bullet. The Sendero hasn't had its legs stretched yet, have to work up a load I am happy with and haven't had the time.

I shoot here at the house about daily, right out my front door is a 375yd range. I shoot the scoped stuff some, but most days it is a nasty ol beat up Turkish Mauser with some 1940 era corrosive ammo, and some sorry sights, being shot at 1" Steel human cutouts at various ranges, prone, kneeling, sitting, and offhand. But I never shoot closer than 200yds unless I am using a pistol, some slugs, or maybe sighting in the SAR1 I use on a few hog eradication hunts.

I'd be willing to place myself against anyone in the shooting wild hogs on the run at 300-450yds game. I seem to be proficient at that, more so than the last fellow who claimed to be a great LR hunter who came along and ran three mags dry out of his mountain rifle and never cut a hair all inside of 400yds.
wink.gif
It would make me sick to fire that many rounds of 7stw and not hit a thing. I only killed 4 out of 5 rds, had to shoot one twice.
wink.gif

I know some of you are dedicated shooters, I respect that, even if I don't agree with how some of you put it into practice. I'd actually be inclined to say the more practical practice field for the skills you possess would be the battlefield.

I've never felt I had a need to place a bullet on anything outside of 800yds. I'm more a student of the lost art of the stalk. Not the modern day, see if I can get within 300yds, but the lets see if I can get close enough to bag this deer with a handgun, on the ground.

My main complaint and your main worry ought to be that some people don't belong shooting any farther than across a card table. By the posting you do, you promote this stuff to many who don't need to be encouraged. I've tried to work with a few on rifle skills and it seems most men are not willing to take advice even if they pay for if it pertains to something they think should be a skill they have. **** poor marksmanship is one of my pet peeves, when a guy comes to hunt and I can outshoot him and his $1,000 rifle with a piece of inaccurate crap like an SAR1, it sorta sours you on anyone shooting farther than 50yds.
grin.gif

I apologize for the threat of legislation someone decided to throw in. That was total and complete crap. Oh well, maybe we can get iron sights outlawed.
grin.gif
I'll just stash my nasty ol cheap to shoot Turk out of sight of the guys coming to grab it.
wink.gif

I doubt I will spend much time here, just wanted to set one record straight. Even if I don't agree with everything you say, or even believe all of it, you seem like decent enough folks. Heck I might even accept an invite to come see this with my own two eyes, which is probably the only way I would believe it(1,500yd plus stuff with a standard caliber)

[ 08-23-2003: Message edited by: St_Gunner ]

This is not my attempt to become engaged in the thread from afar...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I think far and away on the people that inhabit that board, you are wrong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is whats beautiful about America. We/I/You/They/Us.....are free to believe however we so choose. My wife thinks Im worng sometimes as well...For the record she says there isnt a chance in hell that Milla Jovovich, Shanon Doughtery, or Alyssa Milano harbor secret fantasies about taking advantage of me...But hey, a man can dream right?

Whats ethical for one isnt the same for another. The guys that run this place were openly baited by some narrow minds, and have tried to reply with open reason.

If Im wrong about all the guys who havent said anything in relation to that thread at their site...Good Onya...I chose to post here because I know of the dedication and time that these guys put in, so I lent my support...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I'd be willing to place myself against anyone in the shooting wild hogs on the run at 300-450yds game. I seem to be proficient at that, more so than the last fellow who claimed to be a great LR hunter who came along and ran three mags dry out of his mountain rifle and never cut a hair all inside of 400yds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Im glad your hohning your shooting skills. Keep pushing the envelope, and enjoy what you do.

Not to say Im not a "Student" of the stalk either... Im an avid Bowhunter, which usually requires close shots of 30yds or less... However, you wont find me hoverin over a Bull Elk in the meadow doin a Tony Soprano on them either...

Please dont get me wrong. whether you choose to take a shot at 1 yd or 2500yds, my respect goes out to those who take the time and put in the work to become proficient... However it seems like 90% of the people who take up hunting cant even spell MOA, let alone figure out how many mins it takes to get past 100yds.......So, within this euphoria, they go on, wounding animals, shooting at roadsigns, and trying to convince themselves that their way is the only way......

Take care, and good hunting...

'Squatch........

Well-Well, the TROLL hath spoken again. IT is mad at us because IT found out that IT can't shoot very well off the hood of IT's papa,s truck. Now IT is accusing us of back shooting people at the local gas&go store! I sure hope that they let IT continue to post IT's rantings and ravings, 'cause I get a real kick reading the thoughts of the inbred losers who blame others for their unfortunate birth defect of a total amount of zero brain matter between those big TROLL ears!
rolleyes.gif

Hey don't be mad at the guy... it isn't his fault.. afterall.. his mom had no one else to fool around with but her daddy....
and he is really good at those deer hunting video games....

Make Mines post
I tried the LR thing, there really isn't much hunting involved, just plain old killing. It is people like some of you sniper wannabes that are shooting people when they fill up their gas tank. I guess deer got a little boring for them guys too

Make Mine

First--The folks on this forum are not sniper wanna-bes or slob hunters either. This shows me what you know about us and longrange hunters as a group. I might add , the LR group is growing leaps and bounds regardless of what you think about it.

Next and Very important;
Tell us about the equipment you used while longrange hunting. Rangefinders, Rifles and gunsmiths who built them, scopes used and how many MOA did you use to get to the yardage you were shooting. Did you use a bi-pod, bench or are you an off hand longrange hunter?

Tell us how far you were shooting and what caliber and bullet you used. What velocity were you turning and how long is the barrel of that Longrange rifle of yours?

Tell us if you got anything at all.

I'm sure we would all like to hear about this since you "tried" the Longrange way, you "say."

Most of all, Don't put us at the level of a person shooting people at "short ranges" with a 223 as was done at the gas stations in and around Washington DC.

In reality, I'll bet a dollar to a donut, "You" really have no clue as to what Longrange hunting is all about.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this entire forum.

Waiting for your answers to the above.

Darryl Cassel

As an addition here--- I forgot to ask, what State are you in and where did you do all your longrange hunting and for what animal/s were you pursuing?

Why do people call you a trol????

[ 08-24-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

ST_Gunner

Welcome to Long Range Hunting... stay as long as you wish.

I've been down Texas was a few times shooting hogs, over in Knox county...on the Patterson Ranch due East of Benjamin near the wayside/picnic area. Also spent a little time over close to King county line near Guthrie and the 6666 place(s). I'm pretty careful not to wander over onto the 6666 though...been told they don't care for trespassing folks very much (too many bones or something
wink.gif
). The hogs down there are pretty different by comparison to the "more" feral version of the eastern states and they're IMHO far more difficult to kill. Hell, you can kill a Georgia wild hog with a stale donut!

Some of the folks posting here are tactical type shooters and others are more bench style...these are loose classifications and folks may cross into one another class regularly... I'm 99% tactical. I carry all my gear with me (on my person), I shoot for first round kills, I limit my shooting to about 1000 yards but there are other issues/limitations too (650 yards for big game).

I can stalk hunt as well as most and have also placed well in competitions where stalking binocular clad people was concerned.

I hunt and shoot the way I do to accomplish a task in what I feel is an efficient manner...if I can send a round across a field and kill the prey stone-cold dead then that's the manner I'll use at that moment. There are many variable (as you well know) and we can accept that some will/may occur at the most inopportune moment... Once we understand that quirk possibility we can elect to shoot to eliminate the possibility of a "quirk" upsetting the stalk or shoot or we can prolong the "hunt" to better the odds of a shooting "quirk" not taking place...

Enough on that....

Welcome to our place in cyberspace.

[ 08-24-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.