Check these out!!!

Reed Mosser,

No he is still waiting on dies, the B.C. projection was offered by the die manufacturer using their computer model. From everything Richard has shipped to me, they are generally right on the money as far as B.C. goes with the obvious variation for velocity changes.

For a dedicated long range target round the shorter 338 Lapua would be very good with the 210 gr ULD with a 1-7 twist. The 7mm Allen Mag will be larger but it is also designed as a big game rifle and cartridge so I wanted the velocity and energy numbers higher.

YOur right, Richard is beating the hell out of the performance limits we currently have!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,

Thanks for posting the pics of Richards bullets, as they certainly get your attention.

From a wildcatter's perspective, Richard is a breath of fresh air with his willingness to experiment with various weights, jackets, etc and his obvious desire to provide where possible what his customers want.

Since 1972, I have been searching for sources of heavier bullets with higher BC values, and in some instances bullets with heavier jackets, etc in about 5 calibres with only sporadic success.

I believe that his efforts deserve to be rewarded, and I intend to support him, and hope that other wildcatters and experimenters do the same.

Obviously being a sole proprietor, he simply does not have the time and resources to test fire bullets from each batch that he produces. Therefore, it is important that we take that into consideration if any problems do arise with his
bullets, as it is inevitable there will be with someone in his situation who is continually extending the existing boundaries.

Over the last 5 months I have had numerous emails from him, and have spoken to him on 3 occasions, and have been impressed with his attitude and co-operation. I can now understand your whole hearted and unreserved endorsement of his bullets in this forum. I fervently hope he succeeds, as he deserves to. Regards, Brian.

I had about a 15 minute phone chat with Richard yesterday and plan to get a batch of 300 gr. match grade bullets next time they're available. He seemed reasonable and knowledgeable, so I think I'll cancel the 300 gr SMKs I'd backordered. Also I much prefer supporting the small business person as opposed to the mega coporations.

alremkin

You won't be disappointed in Richards 300gr. I switched from the mathkings to Richards and very happy. They are alot more consistant than the matchkings and always a pleasure to speak to a person that will listen to his customers.

Guys,

Have a little story for you that happened today. Had a couple customers come up to talk rifles. One guy has several of my rifles the other is a potential new customer who has really never delt with custom rifles and really is just plain intimidated to get into one.

He just kept saying how he was not a good enough shot to justify a full custom rifle. Well as a rifle builder I put up with hearing this crap about one time and its time to prove a point. I had my 338 Kahn in the shop having just been cleaned and oiled ready for the next shoot. This is a 26 lb V-Block rifle designed for 1500 to 2000 yard shooting, 34.5" 1.350" straight cylinder Lilja 1-10 barrel on a fully printed Rem 700 receiver and riding in a McMillan Tooley MBR stock. Most of you have hear me drone on about this rifle, anyway....

I asked the potential customer if he wanted to go out to my range and squeeze off a few rounds with the Kahn and see what he though. At first he flat out refused and after I opened up the ammo box holding the 50 freshly loaded rounds loaded with the 300 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT Hunting bullets he was really intimidated. This gentleman had never fired a rifle larger then a 300 Win before and this thing looked to him like it was ment for Tank hunting.

Finally I talked him into going out and trying the rifle. He was a bit nervous about the recoil and I assured him that the 5" long, four baffled brake I machined for it would produce less felt recoil then his 22-250 Sporter rifles, of course I got that "how dumb do you think I am look!"

We set up at 100 yards and I lined the big rifle up on target and told him to use the second mil dot up from the main cross hair for an aiming hold point as the rifle was zeroed at 500 yards from the last shoot.

I had him get down on the rifle, figure out the scope level and then had him dry fire the 4 oz trigger several times until he was accustomed to it.

I then handed him three rounds and he touched the first one off and the rifle simply quivered at the shot. He came off the rifle with a huge grin on his face as guys and gals usually do after shooting the Kahn V-Block.

I looked though the spotting scope and told him to shoot another round and this time relax as his first shot dropped about 10" low from where it should have landed. I asked if he jerked a bit from excitement and he replied, "Hell I jerked alot!!"

He settled in and shot another round down range. This one landed very close to where it should have. He said the trigger got away from him a bit on the second shot so I told him to shoot a three shot group now as if he was shooting his Ruger 22-250.

He punched three down range and he could clearly see a nice three shot group under the second shot he had fired. The groupwas about 1.5 calibers tall and a bit over 1/2" wide.

I asked if he had been using the scope level and he looked a little sheepish and replied, "no, I forgot about that."

I replied no problem, shoot three more but use the level this time to square the rifle and use the same trigger control as before.

He settled in and shot the first shot, then the second which was touching the first and then the third which dropped directly on top of the second shot. He came off the rifle like he had just won a 1000 yard BR match.

258811.jpg

This is the target he shot which I was able to snap a pic of it before he took it home, I am sure to be posted on his loading room wall.

Before he left I asked him if he still thought that he could not shoot well enough to justify a full custom rifle and he just smiled and told me he would be in touch to start a project very soon.

The point is that I knew what the rifle would do. I had total confidence in what the bullets would do. In fact so much so that I had no worries at all to let a shooter that was so intimidated to shoot a rifle of this magnitude use them knowing full well this would result in either a rifle sale or not.

Richard makes a **** good product and I have never had a worry about performance when using his bullets or putting my name and reputation on the line using his bullets. In fact I can not say I would feel that confident with any other bullets.

Now sure there are alot of bullets out there but I know for a fact that Richard feels about his bullets like I do my rifles, if they do not perform to the highest level of performance, we will work on them until they do because second best is not acceptible.

I feel forutnate to be able to use his products to build my reputation as a fine rifle builder.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well,

Went out this morning, had a little time to test some of my own stuff. I wanted to load up some of these huge 350 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullets that Richard sent me for testing in the Kahn.

Basically I was running blind, where do you find load data or even reference data for a bullet like this???

I decided to start with AA8700 as it would offer me the shallowest pressure curve of the powders I had on stock in the event I estimated a starting load to high!

I started at 90.0 gr with an OAL of 3.830" which is roughly 0.075" off the lands, again a precautionary measure to control pressure. My concerns were not warranted.

These were with Virgin 338-378 Wby brass as well.

At 90.0 gr the shoulder was not completely blown out and the neck and shoulder were smoked heavily.

I jumped to 95.0 gr and the shoulder angle sharpened up better but still not totally crisp. I was simply finding the working range of this bullet and powder combo, really had no interest in velocity at this point.

I loaded up 100.0 gr of 8700 under the same OAL and this time the shoulders sharpened up nicely with a good gas seal on the neck as well, no smoking.

On my 300 gr ULD loads at 3050 fps I can see just the very faint starts of an extractor mark onteh case head. This load was still very clear, in fact the primers were round as round could be.

I jumped another 5 grains to 105.0 and fired this case, again no faint extractor mark at all.

At this point I had 6 virgin cases left so I figured if I took another 5 gr jump I would have to be in the working pressure range of this bullet cartridge combo.

Loaded up the gear and headed out to my 100 yard range for velocity and accuracy testing. See the whole reason for the test was to see first of all if the bullets would land on point with the 1-10 twist and secondly, what velocity potential was possible in a heavy rifle.

Well with everything set up I touched the first round off and at 100 yards it landed exactly where the 300 gr load prints. THis is a common occurance with the V-Block rifles at ranges under 300 yards or so.

Velocity was just under 2780 fps, I was very happy.

Shot two ripped down range and the bullet hole did not increase in size, at least not from what I could tell through the 16x SS scope. This velocity dropped just under 2740 fps.

Let me say at this point that the 300 gr ULD fired in this rifle at 3050 fps is nothing but a warm and fuzzy experience, these loads, while certainly not punishing, are noticably heavier in recoil.

I fired shot three down range and could now see that the bullet hole had gotten slightly larger, not much though. The velocity of this shot was just over 2740 fps. The average for the three was 2753 fps.

259031.jpg

The velocity spread is I am sure from the jump to the rifling so I am not concerned with this being able to be tightened up dramatically. This is also not a full tilt load.

When I rechamber the fired case, it chambers easily with no resistance. This is a trick you learn shooting the 50 BMG. If a freshly fired case will rechamber with little down pressure on the bolt, your running in the 55,000 psi range. The bolt dropped on these fired cases with no resistance.

I am predicting that this rifle will be able to drive this bullet at at least 2800 fps comfortably and possibly 2850 fps with top end loads but I doubt I will push the rifle that hard, there is no need.

Out to 1000 yards, the 300 gr ULDs are flatter shooting but the 350s have an edge in wind drift and certainly energy when you get out past the 1/2 mile mark.

From 1000 to 2000 yards the 350 really starts to catch up in drop but retained velocity and wind drift are piling on the advantage as is the energy advantage.

At 2800 fps this bullet should stay super sonic out to around 2400 yards. The 300 gr load will hit 2200 yards so there is a net gain of a solid 200 yards which I personally feel is significant at these ranges.

All this is with a B.C. of .975. Richard says the B.C. will be in the high .900 range so this is just a number I picked and used. I will be testing for this as well here soon and will report.

I will not say the 350 gr ULD is more accurate then the 300 gr ULD but I will say I have shot groups in the .1"s with both bullets in the Kahn so obviously they can shoot. I have only shot one group on paper to date with the 350 gr ULD Wildcat bullet and it is the one above, pretty decent start!!

Later, I will keep posting teh results I get from this huge 338 bullet. One thing is for sure, the 1-10 twist will stabilize them in the 2700 fps range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You are one of the most talanted gun smiths and shooters i can think of. Is easy to shoot good groups with ppc, BR. 308 ect. Buy when you get these big guns at high speed, with over a 100 grains of powder to shoot you really have something. I think what you and richard are doing is amazing I glad their are a few people not going along with the flow. and coping whatever guy wins at 1000 yards. i need a barrel chambered up for a savage target gun, when richard comes out with 100 gr 224 bullets, It will either be 22 br or 22-243 imp. May be you are the man for the job.

Reed Mosser,

Thank you for the kind words but please remember that there are dozens of guys in this board alone that can shoot as least as well or better then I. We have all seen the groups. There are also extreme accuracy minded smiths as well.

The most unique aspect about this group of guys is the willingness to share their knowledge and their experimentation results. The best thing is that they do so with their successes as well as their short commings. We just save so much time working to push teh envelope as a collective group and I feel this is the perfect location for like minded shooters to collect and share data.

Next is extreme range, as we all know the mark of a great rifle, bullet, load combo is set at 1000 yards and beyond, not at 100 yards!!!

Maybe tomorrow We can see what happens at longer range!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

XP,

Smiles all around for sure. Richard has spend alot of time and money working on his 338 bullets and the most impressive thing is he is always looking to better his product and never rest on what may be good enough.

We are looking at some things in the 338 heavies that may change the face of extreme range shooting so dramatically that what we are doing now will look like childs play.

Like I said, Richard is leading the way, I am just trying to keep up and bounce ideas around with as we all are.

There is a certain 7mm bullet project I also know will have very interesting results at some very long ranges!!!

It just seems the Lilja barrels and Wildcat Bullets are simply made for each other. Now certainly there are always rifles and cartridges that will not like a certain bullet but so far, they have been few and far between.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Would you happen to have a comprehensive listing of what bullets Richard is making, and bcs or bc predictions?
im especially interested in .308s, but a .338 is in the works for summer.

Abinok,

I can get a list from Richard for the 30 cals and 338s with the B.C.s.

Better yet, E-mail Richard at:

[email protected]

He will get you any information he has to offer.

I have his 2004 price list and for the 308 he lists the following bullets:

J-4 jacket
155 gr
169.5 gr
180 gr
210 gr
230 gr

These can be ordered with Flat Base or Rebated Boattail and also can be orders with a 6,8 or ULD nose profile HP.

Corbin Jackets

168 gr
180 gr
210 gr

These are listed with either a Flat Base, RBBT or Bonded Core and the same nose profiles as above. Also available in HP or Lead Tip

Harfield Jackets

250 gr

These have same options as the Corbin jacketed bullets.

He sent me some 169.5 gr ULD RBBT in .308" to try. These have a B.C. of .595 which is amazing for this weight of bullet. I will be testing them here soon in a 30-06 AI I am building for a customer just to see how they shoot. I suspect extremely well. Beautiful bullet!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.