Cheap shooting bags.....$$

Pa Teeny

I have been doing this for years.....I have to laugh when I see people paying to $$ for shooting bags. Here is what I do.

Take a pair of old blue jeans, kackie pants or what ever. Cut legs off and zip ties lower legs shut and fill with fine sand.....then zip tie top legs off....done!!!

all done so cheap and easy I do it every year. Hope it helps

Pa Teeny

Picked up one of these at a gun show for $12 -- Amazon has them for $10 or so, free shipping if you order 2.5 of them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X8PBZI/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Filled it with acrylic beads from a craft store -- I like them because they do not break down or absorb moisture.

Works great so far -- appears to be very durable -- will use them with my Allen Rest bags that I picked up years ago which I can not find anymore.

UK

Last edited by a moderator:
I do the same with canvas sheets but I fill mine up with fine ground walnut shells from the local pet store. Its used as bedding for desert creatures. I love the walnut shells bc they dont attract mice, resist mositure, and is the perfect weight. not too heavy...not too light..and cheap!

Another thing that works good too is inner tubes cut to length you like and filled with sand. Motorcycle tubes work good for rear of stock. Don't have to worry about them getting wet.

i did the jeans thing. but just the other day improved the bags by cutting out the pieces and sewing them up to have a truly square bag.(six pieces) they just seem to sit better, more square and i figure allow the rifle to recoil straighter than an odd shape bag.

I had a few of the canvas lead shot bags laying around the reloading room. So I filled them with rice and wired them shut. Nice and light and work great. You can even find them cheap on ebay if you don't have any at the house.

Jim

I had a few of the canvas lead shot bags laying around the reloading room. So I filled them with rice and wired them shut. Nice and light and work great. You can even find them cheap on ebay if you don't have any at the house.

Jim

be careful of the mice and keep them away from water or theyll swell...

I use a commercial bag up front and a shot bag filled with sand in the back tied shot with braided copper wire(ground-strap). I've also got one filled with the beads from on old commercial bag I had once.
I do like my old way better, though. My dad's got that set-up, as when I moved out I left it there. I took a 1x12 plank and cut a bunch of squares out of it, then screwed them together 'till they are 8 or 12 layers deep. You then toss a shot bag or three on the front and one in back, and you've got a heck of a rest.
A side bonus is you can use your rifle support to help boost your truck's transmission into place, been there, done that on the last truck.

I have been doing this for years.....I have to laugh when I see people paying to $$ for shooting bags. Here is what I do.

Take a pair of old blue jeans, kackie pants or what ever. Cut legs off and zip ties lower legs shut and fill with fine sand.....then zip tie top legs off....done!!!

all done so cheap and easy I do it every year. Hope it helps

Pa Teeny
I just use old shot bags and fill them with vermiculite instead of sand, works great and weighs about 1/5 what sand does. When I'm done with a pair of jeans there's not enough left to recycle HA!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.