Cheap hand-held system ballistics program

sscoyote

Anybody know where to get a cheap hand held device to download a ballistics program to for portability purposes?

i think i got one sitting around my house with NF ballistics in it. I will look around and see if i can find it. PM if your interested and we can work out a price.

I use:
Acer Aspire 10" notebook (2lb 5oz, $200 at Walmart)
Linux operating system. (free download, has source code) (can dual boot without removing Windows)
GEBC Gnu Exterior Ballistics Computer (free download, has source code)
I know of no better ballistics program which has source code so it can be modified and recompiled.
I'm working on direct data transfer from my anemometer, air density sensor, and rangefinder which have serial output.

Linux Fedora can run handy accessories like:
googleearth with a GPS dongle to display current position and elevation overlaid on satellite photos.
That makes a very inexpensive long range rangefinder if the terrain has identifiable fixed objects like sparse trees. Resolution is a couple of yards.
It can also run and display various USB cameras. That has uses as a recording spotting scope or motion sensing game camera.

Last edited:
If you already use an I Phone or IPad, this is very cost effective. I have been using Ballistic FTE for about a year. It's very easy to use, fast, and loaded with optional capabilities. If you use a Mildot Reticle, there is also a slick program called Mildot Ballistics that works well. These programs cost $4-30 depending on features chosen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.