cheap .308 plinker load

hollywood88

Im looking for a cheap 308 plinker/small game load.what would you guys suggest? Been thinking about runnin the 100/110 gr.(cant remember exactly) hornady sj half jackets over about 14 grains of trailboss. Do you think it would shoot decent out of a 20" 1:10 twist barrel?

I have used 150 gr. Berry plated bullets over 14 gr. Trailboss. This is a very accurate load in my Rem mtn. rifle.

two schools of thought here; either use mil-surp. components bought in bulk or a cast and gas checked lead with trail boss or rl7. I use rl7 and a gc lead pill in my 375 and it'll do 1.5 moa easily. If you can't or won't get into casting a plated pill would do well also, but you will probably have to treat those like lead anyway as far as powder charges. I doubt you'll have good accuracy luck with a short jacketed bullet and they don't cost much less than a 125 or 150 grain plain jane hornady or sierra fb anyway. Still another way to feed 'em cheaper is to wait for a blem bullet sale. Most of those are simply the ugly ones from a bullet run.

My first batch of handloads have been with 150gr. Fmj bt. No name on the bag and they were the cheapest bullets the shop had at 23 bucks for 100. How much do the plated bullets run and where is a good place to order them

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.