Changing scopes on a flattop question

kelly mt

I'd like to change between a high power varmint scope to a Barska Electro Sight. I have a AR 15 flattop. How big of a change will this have on zero if both sights have been zeroed on this rifle?

Supposedly, the best and most precise removable mounts can achieve 1/4 to 1/2 MOA repeatability, when a torque wrench is used.? I cant say from experience though, I haven't tried them myself.

I switch between an ACOG-3x, 3x9 Mk4, and my stock, open sight handle on my Colt HBar. All have the same height from the bore, about 3.5". I left the stock mil spec front sight on with no distortion issues. Impact is within .75" at 100 yards with all three sights using a 40"/# of torque. This is with 55gr. factory Remington Accutips , and 62 gr. Green Tips 556 . It might be better, but this is the typical accuracy of this rifle.

Thanks for the reply. The torque thing makes sense. I live in heavy timber so a shot at a coyote or wolf in on the livestock is quick and close. The Barska is perfect for this. When I go east to the open country the big scope is the thing to use. PK

We remove our scopes after every major training event to clean and if mounted properly I haven't seen more than a 1 MOA shift in POI.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.