Changing regular turrets to M1's

The Duke007

I have had a leupold vx3 3.5x10 with a bdc reticle for a little while now. I am interested in changing the turrets. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will track like its suppose to?Just wanted to get some ideas before i send it in. Thanks

Last edited:
i have had it done a couple of times and yes they work and track just like my mark 4's.

I have one at the leupold factory right now getting this done and the current price is $130 for windage and elevation. you send in your scope with a description of what you want done, and they will call you for a credit card number.

I would take the advice to call Leupold - they may suggest that you change out the reticle - from my experience I would change it out as the BDC seems kind of busy to me - especially when you're just going to use the main cross hair and dial for elevation.

I will say this about the M1 turret's. My son ordered a scope with the M1's and it tracks nuts on. The only thing that wasn't nuts on was when we checked his clicks for 1/4" there was a variance. I can't remember right now but it was less than .25
When we got that figured out - life was good.

I would take the advice to call Leupold - they may suggest that you change out the reticle - from my experience I would change it out as the BDC seems kind of busy to me - especially when you're just going to use the main cross hair and dial for elevation.

I will say this about the M1 turret's. My son ordered a scope with the M1's and it tracks nuts on. The only thing that wasn't nuts on was when we checked his clicks for 1/4" there was a variance. I can't remember right now but it was less than .25
When we got that figured out - life was good.

So it tracks well, but I dont understand the 1/4" click variance?

Sent mine in a while back to have the target turrets with 1/10th MOA replaced with M1 and 1/4 MOA. I am about to send it back for the fourth time because they can't seem to get it right. It's adjustments are 10% off.
Having said that, don't take my experiences as the norm. I have horrible luck!!!

It is about $90 for single turret, I would stick w/B&C, BUT I favor reticules w/lots of info.Example , my son tops ridge, speed goats take off running, He is prone I'm reading yardage, they stop at 530 , he uses last hash as reference and drills goat.That is purpose of B&C. The hash was 500 and post 550, he new where to hold,14 yrs.old.Example 2, 600 yrd. shot, hash as aiming point, nice and small+2.6 moa, this is for my 257. I AM GOING TO PUT A 6-20 TYPE SCOPE in future for varmits, give this scope to son

It cost 126 to have both turrets replaced with m1 turrets
I have done two scopes in as many years also have had three CDS turrets installed
they run just short of 90 each
Both track just fine
I would suggest a cds turrets based on the low magnication of your scope
m1 turrest would look odd and large
Call them up
retiredcpo

So it tracks well, but I dont understand the 1/4" click variance?

When I or either of my sons gets a different scope one of the things we check is what a scope is actually doing versus believing each click is 1/4" at 100 yds. Take a LARGE piece of paper, set up at 100 yds. with your bull dead center. Shoot dead on at the bull and assuming you've hit the bull a number of times then crank up your scope up (let's say 60 clicks), Shoot a number of rounds until you are comfortable, then we turn the scope down 120 clicks (60 down should put you at your original zero) shoot a number of rounds again until you are comfortable. If each click is worth 1/4" then theoretically you should have the top group exactly 15" higher than the bull and the same 15" lower than the bull on the bottom group. Both groups will in my experience be very close distant apart from the bull.
Let's say your groups are 14.25" from the bull. Take 14.25" devided by 60 clicks and you get .2375. Your scope is not a .25" per click but a .2375" per click. Put that number into a ballistic calculator and you will have a much more accurate drop chart. This diff. really shows up when you start cranking up to shoot beyond 500 yds.
PS: I looked up my son's info on his Leo 4-14X50 30mm tube and it was the above example I gave you.

Cowboy thanks for the tip i really appreciate it. I'm going to send it in the next couple days. If I can get away from work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.