Changing from 168 SMK's to 175 SMK's (rezero or compensate)

doctordoctor

I have a few hundred 168 grain SMK's to use in my remington 700 XCR but I need to start using 175's for 800-1000 yard targets. I will be taking a precision rifle course at Front Sight this December and we shoot from 100-1k. I in haste purchased 168's not thinking about shooting out to a K.

So my question is....

Is there a way that I can keep my zero using my 168's and when needed "compensate" for the 175's when I get out to the distances that require them??? I was hoping/thinking that I could just add a few clicks for the difference in ballistics. Meaning I look at my table for 168 and then for the 175's and I would just add the MOA click difference between the 2 to my 168 settings/zero.

I hope this makes sense. I know that re-zeroing and actuall shooting data is the way to go and what not, but i may not have the opportunity to re-zero nor shoot before I get out to those distances. Plus I have tons of 168's that I want to use before I fully transition to the 175's. The longest range I have is 500 yards.

FYI: I am using a Night Force NXS NP-R2 scope with the REM 700 XCR long range 26" barrel.

THANKS!!!

Dr. B

I would start loading 175's and just use them. You can save or sell your 168's as the 175's are a lot better at those distances. But you could always switch back to the 168's after your class for your 500 yard range. But I would not try to compensate, because you won't have same point of impact for zero and can really mess you up.

I have a few hundred 168 grain SMK's to use in my remington 700 XCR but I need to start using 175's for 800-1000 yard targets. I will be taking a precision rifle course at Front Sight this December and we shoot from 100-1k. I in haste purchased 168's not thinking about shooting out to a K.

So my question is....

Is there a way that I can keep my zero using my 168's and when needed "compensate" for the 175's when I get out to the distances that require them??? I was hoping/thinking that I could just add a few clicks for the difference in ballistics. Meaning I look at my table for 168 and then for the 175's and I would just add the MOA click difference between the 2 to my 168 settings/zero.

I hope this makes sense. I know that re-zeroing and actuall shooting data is the way to go and what not, but i may not have the opportunity to re-zero nor shoot before I get out to those distances. Plus I have tons of 168's that I want to use before I fully transition to the 175's. The longest range I have is 500

FYI: I am using a Night Force NXS NP-R2 scope with the REM 700 XCR long range 26" barrel.

THANKS!!!

Dr. B

I would look at the trajectory and velocity of both bullets and the flight time and decide based
on performance. The 168s are capable of fine accuracy at 1000 yards and may have an edge
depending on which caliber your rifle is in. (.286 or .308 )

There have been many 1000 yard matches won with 168s so look at all factors and decide what
is best for the task.

After you decide , Zero the rifle and use the other bullets for practice.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.