Changing a 2 3/4 to 3"

Discussion in 'Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)' started by blackco, Nov 8, 2007.

1. blackco

blackco Well-Known Member

I have a rem1100 that is a 2 3/4". Does anyone know if I put a 3" barrel on it can the action/ejection port handle 3" shells. Looking for experience or anyone's 2cents.

Thanks

2. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

Looked into that one time myself never tried it but remmy says must be a magnum reciever

3. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

It can probably be made to work but like NYLES said their is some differance in the older 2 3/4" recievers and the newer 3" , I woulden't risk having anything blow up. But you could maybe call Rem with your guns numbers and ask them it may work out that it will be a simple barrel swap.

4. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

JJ,
    My concern is ejection problems after firing.

5. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

I've shot 3 inch slugs out of my 1100 for years and have had no problems.

6. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

No Problem

The ONLY differance between a Remington 1100 3" mag and a Remington 1100 2 3/4" action is the barrel. The 1100 3" has one gas port vs the 2 3/4" needs 2 gas ports.
    The ejection window on both actions are the same as are the recoil spring in the but stock.
    I have a standard action that I use for all my waterfowl hunting that I use a 3" chamber barrel in thats made by Hastings. Its also one of the straight rifled barrels that keeps the shot cup from spinning and gives it a bit tighter pattern. On ducks out to 40 yds I use #6 heavy shot and on geese I use #2 heavy shot and its a hammer. I normally use the IC choke on it too.

When I am shooting skeet I just take off the synthetic stock and put on the fajun wood and and the 2 3/4" chambered barrel thats also a Hastings barrel and go shoot.
    Remington don't like to tell anyone this but the actions are identical between the 2 3/4" and 3" but its just a barrel change is all.
    Been shooting the 1100 since I bought my first one in 1970. Keep your gas ports and magazine tube clean and your O ring in good shape and you will never have a problem. Oh and remove any heavy oil from your magazine tube when hunting waterfowl in cold weather as it will gum it up and you will never have a problem with the gun.

7. blackco

Thanks all for the replies.

What I might do is find someone with a 3" barrel and try it. If it ejects it might be my new duck gun for decoys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
    Colby

8. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

I might have a 3" 30 full vent rib off a 1100, dad wasnt sure what gun this barrel came off of so he left it with me. Ill check it when I get home. Over the years he has been known to just end up with shotgun stuff.

Nope 28" 2 3/4 sorry! other barrel must have went home.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  9. blackco

NYLES,
    My dad is just like that also, maybe we are brothers...:) Thanks anyways, I'm sure if I look around one of my local buddies will have one I can try.