Chambering selection. Advice

dieselboy427

I have a few LR and ELR rifles and am looking at a new project. I load for 308, 30-06, 300wm, 300rum, 338 edge so the new rifle I'm thinking something different. A 6.5 or 7mm. This is the first savage project and I'm hoping for a chassis'd switch barrel single shot long action idea. My original options are .260, 26 Nosler, .264, or possibly a 7-300wm since I have brass and can just change bushings. Gimme an idea or more things to consider.

Thanks guys,

Jared

You already have more than enough heavy-hitters... Just figured you might want something on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The Berger 115 VLD's are about the best commercially available bullets for the .257 calibers.

I have always wanted to build a 6.5-06 AI. Some other project always seems to get in the way.

That's what happens everytime I start getting parts ready for a .280 AI build.

First build became a .25-06 AI, the next became a .30-06 AI, then I had a spare magnum action, so I built a .300 Ackley Mag.

This time, when I get a another standard LA, it will be a .280 AI for sure. :D

I own and shoot both the .260 and .264wm and love them both.

If you are going to shoot in high volume then the .260 is the way to go.

I'm adding a .26 Nosler this year as a hunting rifle and no, I don't plan to shoot it a lot but then I don't really shoot any more than is necessary to work up good loads and sight one in other than to shoot critters.

The 6.5-284 of course is one that should be on your list to consider as well. Great caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.