Chamber length?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by WV Sendero, Feb 13, 2011.

1. WV Sendero

WV Sendero Well-Known Member

What is the best way to measure chamber length and determine the maximum trim length for your brass when you are only using the brass in one specific gun? How much shorter should the brass be than the chamber length?

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The best way that I know is to do a chamber cast using Cerrosafe lo temp from Brownells
    to find out exactly how long the chamber COL is and trim .020 shorter.

Cerrosafe can be melted with hot water and will not harm the chamber.

Place a tight patch about 1/2 '' past the throat and pour the Cerrosafe in the chamber just enough
    to fill it to the case head with a little button on the end to give you the whole chamber (Do not
    overfill or it may be hard to remove) if you do a hair dryer will remove it easy.

There are gauges that you can buy to do this but with the Cerrosafe you have a physical
    record/cast of your chamber. and it will give you all of the dimensions of your chamber for
    24 hours, after that it is not dimensionally stable.

J E CUSTOM

3. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

4. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I would think Cerrosafe would be more informative since you could measure all aspects of the chamber and see any imperfections.

But, I'm guessing you really need to remove the barrel to use Cerrosafe? Whereas the Sinclair guage can be used without removing the barrel?

-- richard

5. WV Sendero

WV Sendero Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I just ordered the sinclair guages. I like the idea of the cerrosafe to and may do that later on.