Chamber Concentricity

Quarter Round

I had the good fortune to receive a Sinclair concentricity gage for Christmas. Unfortunately when doing some measurements of loaded and fired rounds I found my 25-06 brass to consistently read out .005 or more, loaded rounds were .002 to .003 out. Fired brass from my two Weatherbys would just nudge the needle or less than .001

Would this indicate an out of round chamber with the fired rounds being out that much?

It is probably not out of round but it is out of alignment. That might not be all of the bad news. The bolt and chamber may not be square with each other. This then causes the head of the brass to get out of square and resizing dies do not fix unsquare case heads.

As long as the rifle is shooting OK I would not get to upset over it in a factory rifle. I have worse and can still coax 0.5 MOA out of it. As long as the deer fall over or whatever then you are doing OK.

If you ever go to a custom barrel on the rifle make sure you have the action trued up to get it square.

P.S

The concentricity gauges are the work of the devil. They make you worry about things you never thought of before and wish you had remained blissfully ignorant.

I'm planning a new barrel installation in the same chambering. Looks like the cost is going up. Now to find a gunsmith interested in doing standard chambers.

If you want to ship the rifle to a gunsmith then there are
Kirby Allen- APS
Shawn Carlock- DE
Nathan Dagly - SSG
who produce very good rifles.

If you want to drive it to a smith, then there is Eddie Harren between Rockville and Frederick Maryland.
Kevin Cram up above Harrisburg Pa.

Those are the forum sponsors and members who I remember at the moment. If you travel around a lot then there are other options of dropping it off and picking it up.

I was considering the sponsoring gunsmiths. If I understand shipping methods correctly I will need to ship and recieve through a FFL holder or in my case a local dealer. Is that correct.

Any pointers on packing for shippment. I considered an air flight approved gun case.

There are so many threads about forum members being chased down the street by the police and UPS that I would not want to give you any advice on that.

Select your gunsmith and let him tell you how he wants it handled.

P.S.

None of the gunsmiths I mentioned are going to cheat you nor sell you any work that you do not need. Part of their job is giving you good advice.

On the concentricity thing i have a tc83 in 223 that is so bad if you just neck size it wont rechamber easily unless you index it to the bad spot.

Shipping is strange when i had my lar upgraded to allow a cam action added to the bolt i shipped it direct to the manu. and they shipped back directly to me..
When i had some warrenty work done on a dan wesson they sent me a mailing box and a lable to attach to it and it went directly to them and directly back to me.
Your milage may vary..

Charles

Internet forums are pretty much just like the outside world.

There are honest people and there are dishonest people.

People develop animosities for other people for reasons and sometimes for no reasons.

Here is a thread by one of your neighbors, Ridge Runner

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/gotta-send-my-aps-rifle-back-36335/

Send him a PM if you think my advice is not good. He is a nice guy and will respond.

If you think I don't know enough about "long range hunting" rifles look at my last post on this thread and read the stories of my kids,

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/allen-mag-shooters-group-18433/

As far as Shawn Carlock goes, just go and read the articles on the home page. The man know more about smithing long range rifles and shooting animals at long range than 10 other people. Where will you find a gunsmith with his hunting credentials.

As far as Nathan Dagley goes take a look at this series of videos and articles

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/another-long-range-hunt-604-671-1280-yds-36687/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/another-lrh-day-325yd-400-500-690-735-yds-36699/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/couple-long-range-kills-me-my-wife-36604/

These are tested and proven gunsmiths who help make this forum the good place it is to learn information. I also will stand behind my recommendations of Eddie Harren and Kevin Kram.

BB and BH,

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I'll spend the weekend doing some research on my list of smiths and start with some contacts. I plan to visit the Douglas Barrel shop next week and take a look at their process and services. I've already done some research on your list Buffalobob and all are coming up top of the line.

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.