Cerakote vs Gun Kote (Matte Black or O.D. Green)

wildcat

Hey everyone, I think by know everyone knows that Kirby is building my Tactical 338 Allen Mag. The rifle is being built on an A-5 stock and the color is going to be the Woodland Camo Pattern. As of right know I am going to coat all the metal in Matte Black. However, I am also considering going with O.D. Green on all the metal. If I go with the O.D. Green, I want more of a Matte O.D. Green. Some of the O.D. Green looks to bright. I need some Ideas, I've looked at Cerakote and Gun Kote colors. If I go with the O.D. Green, on all metal, I am thinking of going with Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote, this O.D. Green looks perfect in the pictures I've seen. I am just wanting to hear what you guys think about the color schemes. Also, I would like some info regarding the quality of both Cerakote and Gun Kote. Any info would be great, I have time before I have to make the final decision on the coating color. What do you guys think; Woodland Camo Pattern on stock with all Metal being coated Matte Black or Woodland Camo Pattern on stock with all Metal being coated Matte O.D. Green. If you guys have pictures, I would love to see them. Thanks guys!

Wildcat

Wildcat

I use Gun Kote on some of my projects, i have not used the OD green though. I use matte black on actions, pistols,magazines, ect. It is very tough stuff and slick. The only problem i have is i dont have an oven big enough to "bake" the finish on long bbls. It requires 300deg for 1 hour. You have to rough sand blast to prepare the parts. I would have Shawn Carlock send you a pic of his Tefflon coating, its similar to the Gun Kote. I have not used any CeraKote. If i ever get time, i have the parts to build a 50" oven so i can do whole bbl actions. Sounds like your having fun with your custom project, just wait till you pull the trigger on that bad boy!

Hi Wildcat i would go with the Mat OD Green the mill spec one is the one i am looking at i will go with that or the Sand color with a desert camo stock. Good luck but Black is the worst color to camoflage it stands out the most so if it is only for looks black is ok but if it has to be practical stay away from black. Most of the black on military rifles gets painted over and now the minitary is ordering rifles with colored options instead of black.

Cheers Bill
Australia

BD 408, Shawn will be doing the coating on my 338 Allen Mag. I believe all of Kirby's coating jobs go to Shawn. I am hoping Shawn will see this posting and let me know what he thinks, and if he uses the Gun Kote. If I go with Green, I want it to look a certain way, not bright or as they say a baby poop green. I want a Matte O.D. Green look. I am hoping someone will send some picks. Regarding pulling the trigger, I can't wait to shoot this BAD BOY. I am wondering what the kick will feel like.

Wildcat

What up Bill, like I mentioned before I am currenly going with a Matte Black coating. However, I am starting to lean towards going with the O.D. Green. It has to be the right green look. I want a Matte Green look, so If I could see some pics that would be great. I saw a rifle with an A-5 stock with the Woodland Camo Pattern and all metal coated in Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote. I like the Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote, so I am might end up going that rout. I am waiting for Kirby's and Shawn's opinion. I still have a lot of time before I make my final decision, but I am leaning towards the Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote. By the way, sorry about the Croc Hunter, I loved that guy!!

Wildcat

Hi i have not got a OD Green finish yet but i hope it will be like you want aswell. By the way the Crock Hunter was a character but a dedicated greene unfortunately he was against hunting but you cant be all the right things for all the people i feel sorry for his 2 young children and wife he left behind. I suppose it was enevitable if you play with things taht bite one will eventualy get you.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wildcat,

Sorry it took me so long to pick this thread out. Here is an OD green with black on a 6.5-06 I did. One thing about shopping colors by different brands, the color will change slightly when it is baked from the swatch you see on their site or flyer generally it will take a bit of a brown tint to it. The 6.5-06 you see was brightened up some the standard finish is somewhat duller and not as green.
DONS6.5-06-2.jpg

Here is the same od green not brightened. The overall look of the color also depends on what other colors are going with it.
SNAKESKIN2.JPG

Here is a coyote tan color on a 338 Edge
JONES338EDGE.JPG

Shawn, thanks for the pics. If I go with the O.D. Green, I still want something that is not as bright. If I can't find that, then I am just going to stick with good ol Matte Black. The stock I will be using is the McMillan A-5 with the Woodland Camo Pattern, the colors are Green, Black, Brown and Tan. I will keep looking, I saw a Rifle with Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote, it had the right look. The rifle I saw with the Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote was on G.A. Precision site, click on Rifles Available and the rifle is called the GAP Crusader. If I were to go with a O.D. Green, that's what I would want it to look like. I am sure you will give me some ideas. Have you worked with Gun Kote? Once again, thanks for the pics, and when you get my 338 Allen Mag, please give her a hug, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifLOL.

Wildcat

Yea I am susposed to have 4 BAT actions in the next week or 2, I can't wait to get some 338 AM down range. I have used most of the available coatings at one time or another. We will be sure to get the color you want.

Thanks A bunch Shawn. I am leaning towards the O.D. Green look, I just need to see some more pics. Like I said before, I think the Mil Spec O.D. Green by Gun Kote will be perfect. Lets say I decide to go with the O.D Green, and I don't like it, can I have it re-coated Anyhow, I have time before I make my final decision. Once again, thanks Shawn!!! If you have any more pics, I would love to see more.

Jake (Wildcat)

Thanks Shawn, I look forward to viewing some pics. Between Kirby and Yourself, this has been by far the best customer service I have ever had. Once again, thanks, and I look forward to seeing some pics. I think with the right O.D. Green and the Woodland Camo Pattern stock, this will be one awesome looking rig.

Jake (Wildcat)

Here is the same green on my 260 match rifle, as you can see it is hard to pick a shade from a swatch or photo. This green was shot from the same batch as the 300 Ultra above and baked the same time temp etc (yes, those things will effect the colors tint). We should hit on a combo you will like the easiest thing would be for you to pick a color and also give a comparison, like you want it to match the green in the stock. I find that matching a color in the stock with the metal makes it look like a project not an after thought.

MOR-1.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts