Cerakote Question?

Autorotate19

I just received my barreled action back from a guy who cerakoted it and Im freaking out. He didn't mask of the crown of my barrel and Im worried he ruined my barrel is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Look at the bore at the muzzle with a bore light or a flashlight and see if there is anything in there. My guess is is that he plugged the barrel some how to keep the Cerakote out. If there is some in there I would call the guy that did it for you and let him know what's going on!! Just my $.02!!

I looked and there is a good .25" in the barrel. I called my smith up and he said shoot it and see how it goes.

Any decent smith would have corked the end of the barrel, especially when he blasted it to prep it for Cerakote. Eeeks, I would not be happy!!!

I talked to him and he corked it when he blasted it but he's said when he coated it the plug moved. He said the paint should blow out after a couple rounds fired. :roll eyes: It does look awesome though!

Well that's not good!! I would take it to him and have him shoot it out. That way if something goes wrong it's on him. Did he say anything to you when you picked it up? If not he should have, he should have inspected the whole rifle to make sure it was ok. I would think that there is going to be an increase in pressure do to the tighter bore at the muzzle. I could be wrong. If it was me I would ask him to shoot it for you!! Let us know how it works out for you!!

I had a Wby Mark V coated. It wasnt cerakote but something simillar. I wasnt a happy camper when I had about the same amount of material in my bore. Talked to the guy and he basically said "ohh well". I then talked to a smith and he advised me to shoot it out.
So I shot it out and it was GOOD TO GO! dont sweat it to much. if something happens hand the fella a bill for a cut and crown job, but i suspect that it'll turn out like mine.

Cool, he said that the paint won't stick to slick material such as the barrel so it sounds like I'll be okay! Thanks for all the input!

Well, looks like it wasn't as bad a deal as first anticipated. Let us know how it turns out for ya when you shoot it!! How about some picks of your rig!!

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Sorry about the quality used my phone for the pics.

What color is that? I have a savage s/s 338wm I want to get done after I have a brake installed.

Thanks,
Gene

6.5x.284 built by Dan's Custom Guns. Surgeon action, Brux barrel, Jewell Trigger, Grey Bull Precision stock. The color is dark earth. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.