CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

This is my next big guy's toy. Complte new to me. So where does the bullet pass (through or over the triangle). I shoot only long range local competition. Thanks >>>chaz

If you have friends like mine, they shoot at the device rather than through it. Had a guy come up once who wanted to chrony a 22 he had...left a nice little hole in one of the sky screens. You need to supervise pretty closely...funny thing is that this guy was a "hunter education instructor" Safety first I always say!!! 30-338

Hi Eaglet...how ya been?

If you have friends like mine, they shoot at the device rather than through it. Had a guy come up once who wanted to chrony a 22 he had...left a nice little hole in one of the sky screens. You need to supervise pretty closely...funny thing is that this guy was a "hunter education instructor" Safety first I always say!!! 30-338

Hi Eaglet...how ya been?

I've been alright! You seem to be doing better. :) Just make sure you keep
behind your friends when their shooting!!! I've had 5 chronographs and three
different bands. My first, a chrony, got me so frustrated I shot at it with my
hand gun and I missed...:rolleyes: I gave it to a friend and after a battery replacement it still is working good!!! :D I'm embarrassed I did that!!! Man!!! :D

Last edited:
I use the CED II. On setup I measure 15 ft from the front of the bench and set up my tripod, making sure it is level. I then set up my target at 100yds so that it is in line with the chrongraph and the front rest on the bench. It really helps to have a buddy at this point. Then I set the gun on the rests and adjust the height so that I'm shooting through the center of the triangle of the crono. I also make sure that the two triangle are in line and square with the gun.

I purchased my ced 2 few months ago and been using it the last 2 weeks and love it. I had a chrony dont know the model but i consider it primitive compared to the ced -2 . The little bells and whistles is worth a lot also, i actually keep it in my shooting box and can take it some where easy and show previous stats. One little thing on that line i was shooting my 6x284 last week and got like 4150 out of a particular load, off to the local gunshop now for bragging rights push a button it doesent lie.
mike

I've got a shooting crony and a CED M2, I bought the CED because the shooting crony was not accurate according to my actual drop tests.
But the CED is touchy, often doesn't read, rarely gives me shot strings I can count on unless I'm shooting at noon, without a cloud in the sky and the sun directly overhead. It's so bad, I now take a 22 so I can see if I can get it to read BEFORE I start shooting my test ammo.

Very frustrating. Both places I shoot with it are set up for 12 feet. I don't think it's muzzle blast, some times I'm shooting short 223 tacticals and it doesn't read. I'm desprate to get something that works. I think I'm going to spend the 80 bucks more and see it shooting it with the infared makes it more reliable. Funny thing, it will shoot 3 or 4 in a row, nothing changes and it won't read for 10 shots...

I would pay real money for a good reliable Crony..

I'm not impressed!

I've got a shooting crony and a CED M2, I bought the CED because the shooting crony was not accurate according to my actual drop tests.
But the CED is touchy, often doesn't read, rarely gives me shot strings I can count on unless I'm shooting at noon, without a cloud in the sky and the sun directly overhead. It's so bad, I now take a 22 so I can see if I can get it to read BEFORE I start shooting my test ammo.

Very frustrating. Both places I shoot with it are set up for 12 feet. I don't think it's muzzle blast, some times I'm shooting short 223 tacticals and it doesn't read. I'm desprate to get something that works. I think I'm going to spend the 80 bucks more and see it shooting it with the infared makes it more reliable. Funny thing, it will shoot 3 or 4 in a row, nothing changes and it won't read for 10 shots...

I'm not impressed!

Robbin, I'm sorry you're having problems. What's happening to you is the exception, not the norm. I've had three of them and I've always been very happy. Absolutely no problems. Have talked to the people at costumer support? I would!!! Believe me, for the money you won't get anything better but of course some how you got the exception, sorry friend. Call them up!

I'm not impressed!

I don't own a CED MII but I believe you've got a defective unit and would be well-served by calling their technical staff and discussing your problems. They may give you some tips after asking you some questions. They may tell you to send it in so they can diagnose its funtionality. Just my opinion, and what have you got to lose. I would not spend any more money on the unit you have on IR screens until you get it functional without the IR screens.

+1 on contacting tech support. I pulled a stunt and put a .358 Winnie through the start screen one day, called the company and had a replacement in two days at a discount. Very helpful people. Telephone: (928) 634-8028
| Send E-Mail

Ok you guys quit with the snickering. If you haven't done it already, you will.

Ditto on contacting CED. But I know how you feel. I have had 3 different brands including the vaunted PVM 21 and they all malfunction. I think sometimes you need to take 2 different ones to the range, so that when the first one fails you won't burn a whole day. What about the infrared unit...that seems to help with the problem of sun/shade shift. My Shooting Chrony was the worst in that regard. I would get widely varying readings of up to 100-200 FPS which were probably not attributable to ammo. I wonder if the older, discontinued Oehlers had problems too?

And yes Brother Eaglet...the PVM 21 has bit the dust! 30-338

What about the infrared unit...that seems to help with the problem of sun/shade shift. 30-338

Ordered the infarared unit last night. Someone on another thread said it cleared up all their problems. At this point, I'll try anything. I also ordered the solid metal plate to make it more stable.

Ordered the infarared unit last night. Someone on another thread said it cleared up all their problems. At this point, I'll try anything. I also ordered the solid metal plate to make it more stable.

Robbin, and idea just hit me. You know when the mount the chronograph to a tripod, one end is sturdy and the other end would lift up if you push it up. Have you always made sure that the sturdy end is the one toward the muzzle? This is important other wise you'll never get a true reading!

30-338 I hear you! Scary!!!