CCI BR2 in magnum cases?

LRHWAL

Thanks for any advice.

I've no experience with the BR2 primers and we aren't spoiled for choice here right now. I've heard that I should be able to get my hands on some BR2's and wondered whether they are enough for use in the 300WM. 70grs of powder somewhere between 4831 / 7828 type of burn rate.

I can't get a couple from a buddy to test, so any input on this is great. I've found std. CCI LR to be a little lacking with this powder charge.

Thanks for any input on this.

WL

The CCI BR2 is essentially a match long rifle primer, not a magnum primer. I limit their use to 30-06 sized cases and if I was using a slow powder like 4831 or 7828 I'd go with a CCI 250 Magnum Primer. The flame is definately hotter.

I use a Magnum Primer in my 7mm Rem Mag and for .388 Win Mag, .300 RUM and and cartridge that I use ball powder. Ball powders need a hotter flame to ignite more consistantly.

Unfortunately, CCI doesn't make a match quality magnum primer. Federal does, however they are hard to find.

Dan

you can use the BR2 in the WSM cartidges but not recomended in the wm cartidges

Shawn Carlock lists them in several of his loads for the 338 Edge.

I also know that Kirby does not use a magnum primer in any case that holds less than 100g of powder unless he will be in sub-zero temps.

There was a big discussion a while back about the need and use of large rifle magnum primers.

Thanks for the replies.

I've had mixed success with std CCI's, hence my question. Every now and then I'd get a very slight only just perceptible "hangfire" which I've never expereinced with magnum primers.

I'll search for the thread you've referred to GearGrinder.

Thanks.

WL

I have used many of them in 25-06 and never had any problems. I stopped using them when they went to over $4 per 100, they can keep em for that price!!!

I did however do a little experimenting when I had my 300 RUM. I had no mag primers and decided to go ahead and load some of the CCI BR-2's up for the RUM and 200g AB's. I worked up the loads in the winter with a temp of about 30-35 degrees. I was getting 3100fps and great accuracy with 92g of H-1000. Primer seemed to be igniting the powder just fine, no hang fires that I could tell.

So, I load up the remaining cases and go up elk hunting. Temps were a bit colder, anywhere from -10 to 15 degrees. After shooting a few of them in the colder temps, I could tell they were slightly hang firing. I'd squeeze the trigger, hear the firing pin hit, then about 1/2 second later the shell would go off, like a delayed reaction. They still went bang, but I figured the colder temps were the case.

I wouldn't imagine why they wouldn't work with a 300 Win mag when your burning 20g less powder unless your in sub zero temps.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.