Cauterucios for Hunting?

jeffbird

Anyone actually used Cauterucios for taking deer? My 7wsm shoots them remarkably well and they are very predictable. Just not sure about using them for deer. My rifle will not shoot Accubonds worth a flip, so it's use these or work-up a load for some Barnes. Input appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, I have used the C176 exclusively for deer, and one elk, for several years now. I fully endorse it. Bob C told me he uses the heavier 30 cal matchking jacket for the 7mm bullet.

So here you have a bullet with more sectional density (for more predictable penetration) than the 30 cal which itself has killed a gazillion big game animals for many, many long range hunters in recent years.

Len,

Do you have a preferred shot placement for deer with the Cauterucios and any differences in placement for up close vs. long shots?

Thanks.

Jeff

The closest I remember shooting a deer with this bullet is about 300 yards.

If I am sure of the shot, I go for the shoulder at a point where I also hit at least one lung. If if unsure, I go for a double lung shot as this is an easier target with more margin for error.

I would not hesitate on a shoulder shot at 50 yards.

Len or anyone else,
Little OT here.
Can anyone give any insight into the 7mm 180 JLK bullet for deer or elk?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.