Cauterucio 7mm bullet performance

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Late yesterday I shot a whitetail doe through both shoulders. The bullet exited leaving a a hole about one inch in diameter. I am pleased with that performance. This is my first Cauterucio shot intentially into bone...

Usually I go for a shot just behind the shoulder. That gives me a bigger target but this time I wanted to be sure to anchor the deer. When I shot her she was standing on the edge of the "sanctuary". I didn't want to allow her to run into this sanctuary in the marsh. If she had done so I would have been leaving human scent during the recovery process, spoiling future hunts for the rest of November.

There's a nice 10 point buck in there that I am going after with my bow starting today...now that the rut has started. Shooting a doe was necessary since this year I am faced with an "Earn-a buck" rule. Yesterday was the last day of the 4-day T-zone rifle doe season. Now I have earned 2 buck tags...one (a few weeks ago with my bow) for an archery buck and one (yesterday) for the rifle buck season which starts in a few weeks.

Cauterucio VLD, 7mm, 176 grain, terminal velocity was 2,500 fps at 518 yards. Bob uses a 30 cal Matchking jacket.

For those that don't know Bob recently went through some heart surgery and has cut back on his bullet making offerings a little bit.I got the last of his 211 and 215 gr 30 caliber bullets and he will only be making the smaller 30 caliber bullets in the future<140 grains.
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.