catshooter rifle cleaning

hi catshooter just wondering if you might post your rifle cleaning findings here thanks Roger Hunter

Nope...

Not a chance.

I'm tired of the BS on this site.

I rarely post here anymore.

Too many "experts" here that have opinions about things they have never done, about rifles that they have never owned, about cartridges that they have never fired or loaded for, and about products they have never used...

... but "they read an article somewhere", and will fight for weeks about it.

Last edited:
When the results are put together, I will post it on my home site (SC) - and it will probably wind up in the articles section there too.

I have already learned a lot in the last few weeks.

I have a lot of pictures to take (of lots of green patches) :(

Paul

Come-on.... Don't tell me that you've grown thin skinned in your old age. Some of us really enjoy your posts and I'll bet you secretly enjoy a few of your terse replies to the "experts", I know a few folks that live to read some of your more blistering replies....

I'll share mine if you share yours...

How to clean a rifle!
by Dave King

CAUTION::: This is a cookbook set of instructions, they must be followed strictly in order, no substitutions or deviations. :::CAUTION

1) Get a rifle to clean. (It doesn't need to be dirty or rusty or old it just needs to be a proper rifle with a functional bore and action. Rifles with plugged barrels can be cleaned but this procedure does not cover these cases. Stolen rifles should be cleaned with extra care so as not to leave trace fingerprints...a fingerprint removal procedure is contained in a follow-on set of auxiliary instructions.)

2) If there is another person present when you are about to start the cleaning process you would be well advised to have them leave the area or blindfold them. If you skip this step you'll not be able to clean the rifle according to these instructions as deviations are caused by 'expert' or ignorant bystanders.

3) Assemble your cleaning supplies:

a. rifle
b. a flat mostly horizontal surface manufactured of durable material, large is better than small and if you're a klutz something with a raised lip and low to the ground/floor is suggested. Beginners should find a large empty tiled or linoleum covered room and work on the floor.
c. a rest or holder upon which the rifle will rest when cleaning. This device should be constructed such that the rifle is held in a nearly horizontal position, with the ability to adjust the rest so the muzzle is angled toward the ground so as to facilitate drainage of liguid or fluid or gasseous materials toward the muzzle end. It sould also be fashioned in such a manner so that the rifle is cleaned from the breach end unless there is a limiting factor such as commonly found on lever action rifles, muzzle loaders, revolver rifles, rifles with the bolt stuck shut, rifles that the owner can't figure out how to remove the bolt, etc. NOTE: The rest should be covered with whatever material the rifle cleaner feels is sufficient to protect the finish of the rifle from scratches, dents, dings, etc...some of us really don't care and just use factory supplied rubber pads.

I'll work on this proceedure some more in a bit, I gotta re-do some electrical wiring while my wife is gone... She insists on having me turn off the house power while I wire or re-wire electrical outlets and I like to do it while the power is on so I can tell if the connection is correct... wives are like that ya know!

Paul... You can start on your procedure if you wish.

Last edited:
Good morning Dave.

Good to hear from you. Come see us on SC some time ;)

I don't think I'm getting "thin skinned", I think I'm getting tired. I'm just as mean as ever ;)

(OK, OK... I did toss a little spaghetti into the "What a Joke" thread - it's not my fault, the debil made me do it ;) )

I have been in a legal battle for my son (whose mother is a child abuser) for what is going on to 4 years.

I ran out of money (over $100,000) after the first year and a half, and have been acting as my own lawyer ever since.

So I have been learning the law (it is as disgusting as everyone thinks).

She has three lawyers and the best law firm in that part of the state... and I have been winning 85-90% of it so far, so I guess that's some kind of practical IQ test of sorts, but I'm just so tired of liars and fakes.

I love to debate real shooting stuff with guys that have the teeshirts - Kirby and I have had some great (and very heated) disagreements, and I have loads of respect for him, but some of the loud mouffs on this site are nothing but punks, spoiled children, fools, and liars - and you cannot debate a fool or a liar.
When you prove them wrong, they just change the frame of the discussion and keep on lying to save face.

It never stops until you realize there is no end to it, cuz they have no other life.

Over on SC, we have heated discussions, but the ground rules are you cannot argue about things you don't know - you read in "Guns & Blamo", it doesn't count.

You lie, you get kicked off the site, you make up stuff, you get kicked off the site, you run your mouth about things you don't know - you get laughed off the site. We have a good reputation (one of the best) for having solid long range info. It works for me.

Anyway... I have been cleaning guns since that new invention, the "wheel lock" ;) and I (like most of us) took a few things for granted... with something like cleaning, you tend to do what worked. If you try something new, and it doesn't work, you go back to what works... makes sense.

But I have found some things that people said, that I didn't believe, turned out to be true (Boo!).

And I have found some thing that people said, that I didn't believe, WERE NOT TRUE (Yippie ;) ).

But this has caused me to look at the whole thing from scratch, like I never cleaned a gun before. Since I am a trained scientistéro, I can sort out the BS from what workie.

I'll probably finish it up in the spring, cuz were loosing the weather here in a few weeks, and I still have a bunch of riffles to shoot before the weather folds.

Last edited:
Paul,
I second what Dave said, I really enjoy and respect your knowledge and your gentle nature... Appreciate if you would not cut us loose here, everybody can be an expert in their own minds - legend in their own minds or whatever - but I come here to get shooting info and your info is for real. I am about 98% clueless about puter terms, is sc sniper country or is it your own website? If you have a website I would like to see it, could you provide the link.
Good luck with your litigation - sounds like a very difficult challenge and you are doing what a dad has to do.

What Ian and Dave said...........
thumb.gif

Paul

Tired is a better term, I agree, I'm getting tired too and sometimes it shows.

It seems as though I don't get the amount of sit and read time I'd like and the SC is a lengthy read at each visit. Good info but a little up-time is required on each visit to get through the thread. I do stop by and read but not nearly as often as in the past. It's a bit of a commitment to keep up there, perhaps if I get a bit more time I'll catch up and pester folks over there... I miss chatting with Sinister and the like, folks are known to one another so BS is uncommon as you say.

I just finished that electrical thing (only shocked once this time... I'm getting better at this).

I gotta re-wire two phones now then it's back to the "How to clean a rifle"... I'll be folks can't wait!!

She has three lawyers and the best law firm in that part of the state... and I have been winning 85-90% of it so far, so I guess that's some kind of practical IQ test of sorts, but I'm just so tired of liars and fakes.

Doesn't seem quite fair 3 against 1.

I mean not fair to the lawyers.

Good Luck,

AJ

Paul,
****, I don't remember which rifle you are mentioning. I had some problems with triggers a while back but they seem to have gone away. I shoot slightly better than I remember things these days. Current project is to get 1000 rounds through an ICON before the snow flies. Frustratingly slow "work" that is not as fun as it sounds since I do not intend to fry this barrel since it shoots like one of my heavybarrels.

I am constantly looking for info on barrel cleaning since I do so much of it. Right now my goto solvent is TM Solution because I feel it is doing a nice job of getting at both the carbon and copper. Any opinions on TM? I have lost all the skin on my fingertips a few times but the fingerprints seem to return. Should a person wear rubber gloves, seems kind of cowardly to me?

Paul,
I remember now, we are talking about the Sendero ll. Truth is I forgot to check on that trigger, smooth is the new model right. Rifle is still down south, not sure where the paperwork is on that one.

Paul,
I remember now, we are talking about the Sendero ll. Truth is I forgot to check on that trigger, smooth is the new model right. Rifle is still down south, not sure where the paperwork is on that one.

Yeah... the Sendero-II was the one. And the new trigger IS smooth.

I did not get a chance to shoot my .264 WM Sendero-II this year, but I did get time to "Steel bed" it, and bring the trigger down to 24 ounces. I really like the riffle.

I can't answer about the TM cleaner yet, and there will probably be a few I miss, cuz I can not get them all - I have a lot of dirty riffles, but not that many ;)

I'm saving the 50-BMG for what I think turns out to be the best. ;) ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.