Catalog of bullets

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by CTI1USNRET, Oct 15, 2004.

1. CTI1USNRET

CTI1USNRET Member

Does there exist a catalog of bullets sorted by caliber and terminal ballistics? I'd love to find something where all bullets were tested in a common medium and has comments like, "failed to expand below xxxx fps, performed well between xxxx and xxxx, and blew up beyond xxxx fps. Penetrated xx inches at xxxx fps."

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

emailed bullet expansion pictures on the way.

3. CTI1USNRET

CTI1USNRET Member

That's an eye opener. Are the numbers at the side muzzle velocities or impact velocities?

4. Len Backus

Impact velocities.

Take the pictures with a grain of salt. As an example, one may conclude from them that the Matchking breaks up too easily to perform well in killing big game animals. And yet, many, many of our members (myself included) have had great results with them.

I hope this picture posting works well enough. I am not sure you'll be able to see the details. Let me know if not and I'll email full-size files for better viewing..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ 10-16-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

5. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

Hey Len could you ship it to me or post the link please. I remember seeing this a few months ago and forgot where I saw it. I was just recently talking about this chart with a friend of mine.

Should I assume that the Nosler J4s are performing like the SMKs in the field? I did a search and read a number of comments that said they were but I wondered if you had any inside info. I am planning on shooting the J4s exclusively in my .308 win and this will include shots on deer out to 600Y and coyotes far enough to get in the 1k club.

Also using midway as a reference, the J4s are the least expensive 165-168 gr 30 cal bullet if you exclude remingtons bulk offerings for flat base spire point.

Thanks.

6. Len Backus

Sorry, I have no J4 experience. Email on its way.

7. chris112

chris112 New Member

New here, but if you don't mind could you send same to me. Thanks.
    Chris

8. 5Redman8

5Redman8 Well-Known Member

9. kac1345

kac1345 Well-Known Member

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. demarpaint

demarpaint Well-Known Member

12. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

As far as J4 Jackets are concerned...I used them for years in making .30 caliber matchgrade bullets for highpower competition and they are accurate but IMO...the jackets are not designed with enough structural integrity for hunting usage. The Sierra jackets are thicker and I believe would work better if you intend to shoot a target grade projectile! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. safarihunter

safarihunter Well-Known Member

I would like to have a copy of that information as well. Looks like it is quite informative.

Thanks, Dan

14. nowler

nowler Well-Known Member

that info looks great.

i would be very gratefull if you could email me a copy too.

many thanks

derek

nowler@hotmail.com