Cast iron Cookware??

Discussion in 'Cooks' Corner' started by mtelkhntr78, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mtelkhntr78

mtelkhntr78 Well-Known Member

Can anybody give me a recomendation on good cast iron cookware brand? I am not sure if they are all about the same or if it is one of those things that "you get what you pay for"?

2. nfhjr62

nfhjr62 Well-Known Member

I've looked at the iron cookware at Cabale's in the store in Hamburg Pa. looks good didn't buy as out of money after buying my Savage F/TR 308 and some reloading stuff

3. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Lodge makes a lot of nice products.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

But you can't beat titanium for scrambling eggs over a camp stove. Right gamedog.

:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I'd stick with cast iron next time. At least the beer looks tasty:D

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Depends upon how many people you are cooking for.

For two or three people, a 4 Qt Texsport Dutch Oven is just right. It has a rimmed lid for keeping the coals on top and a decent handle and legs. I cook biscuits and cornbread in it and it does well. I don't cook much else in it. Sometimes after dinner, my daughter would want a snack and she would whip up a batch of biscuits and cook them in the dutch oven over the fire and have buttered biscuits and jelly before going to bed.

For a skillet, you should have a couple of sizes. I have no brand preference except do not get one with a wooden "roller" handle because it will spill stuff all the time.

The key to clean up is to follow direction for getting it broken in and coated. After that don't let your wife anywhere near it or she will get it "Too Clean".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  7. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

Don't laugh now. Griswold brand. Look at yard sales and estate sales. After it's seasoned keep soap far away from it. If it's seasoned correctly, and used correctly, it will be close to non-stick as teflon.

Did I mention to keep soap away from it?:D

Don't forget that the handle is usually just as hot as the bottom of the pan - if it'll fry a steak, it'll do the same to your hand!

8. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

After growing up with them i swore i would never have them. Cant beat teflon for clean up.:)
    mike

9. BROWN TROUT

BROWN TROUT Well-Known Member

Griswold is it.
    All the new stuff that I have tried is too rough and does not season well.

10. benlow

benlow Active Member

I love cast Iron, have had teflon but it does not last. Go to yard sales second hand stores and swap meets. Try to buy old ones that are real smooth inside. I have bought new ones but they are too rough inside. So much so that I have thought about sanding them too see if I could make them smooth. I got my favorite frying pan from my grandmother. I know it is over 80 years old. Gramma is 96 and had it since she was 16. She could not lift the big pan any more so she gave it to me.:D

11. Gettn2

Gettn2 Active Member

Have used some old and some new. Don't see much difference if you season it well. Have used Old Griswold, Old Lodge, New Lodge, Camp Chef ... etc.

A 12" Dutch oven is an addiction waiting to happen. Just had some friends from FL here and they had never had DO cooking. So we fixed a DO meal ... and an apple desert made with granny smith apples and covered in "red hots", etc ... Oooooo man!

If you want to know more about this stuff ... visit ...

IDOS > Home
    Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Links - Forums And Groups
    Chuckwagon Supply - Everything for Dutch oven and Camp Cooking

There is a lot of info out there! Good luck and have fun!

12. txmasterplumber

txmasterplumber New Member

You can't beat Lodge... I havn't used any camp chef, but am thinking on buying one to try. I've got a 14", 12", 12" deep, 10", 8" and a 6" DO. I even bought a CI waffle iron, that we found last fall @ antique alley in Grandview. Havn't tried it yet, but may in the morning. We also have an array of CI pans that we use every day. Going to chunk the Caphalon pans. I bet I could beat Emeril in a pineapple upside down cake in my 12" dutch!

13. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

I do all my cooking on my cast iron pan. My wife hates it ;-))

14. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

If your food is sticking in a cast iron pan you're not treating it right. Cast iron is the original non stick surface. I have a couple of pans my grandmother had when she got married, and I'm just shy of 50 years old.

Just remember that cast iron doesn't get along with acidic foods like tomato products. You can use them to cook with, but you just need to clean them well and reseason them with a light coat of oil.

Southpaw