Caseing question

sniperjwt

Ok i have been loading for years and have never come across this until now. In my 300 WSM i have been useing the Lee collet dies and they loaded fine for the first 4 loads. Now they are very hard to chamber. I bought a full lengh sizing die and full lenght sized them but they still are hard to bolt. Anybody know what else i can do to get these where i can shoot them again. Thanks for any help

I have only ever loaded for a friends 300WSM, it was very difficult to size after a few firings as you've discovered.

Are you 'camming over' on the press?

I found that you had to screw the die in until it made contact with the shell holder and then raise the ram and screw the die in another 1/4 turn to size the cases enough for them to chamber correctly. I had several attempts until I got the bolt to close with little resistance.

PFL sizing was practically useless, and they had to be FL sized due to the expansion just above the web, the brass is very hard in this area and tends to 'bounce back' after sizing.
Give it a go in your rifle, FL size gradually deeper until you get the bolt to close with little resistance.
gun)

Ok i have been loading for years and have never come across this until now. In my 300 WSM i have been useing the Lee collet dies and they loaded fine for the first 4 loads. Now they are very hard to chamber. I bought a full lengh sizing die and full lenght sized them but they still are hard to bolt. Anybody know what else i can do to get these where i can shoot them again. Thanks for any help

Normally after 3 or 4 firings or hard loading I anneal and then full length size.

This helps save the brass and helps the sizing process.

If it is a hard loaded round I will sometimes discard the brass just to be safe,

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.