Case trimming ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BrentM, Apr 1, 2013.

1. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

How often do y'all trim your cases? Do you trim to book length or set trim to your shortest case and match?

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

For what case and whaT TYPE OF GUN?

3. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Initally, I trim factory chamber brass about .010" below SAMMI and re-check every loading. For custom chambers, I get the reamer manufacturers print and trim .010" below that measurement.

4. baldhunter

baldhunter Well-Known Member

I used to trim mine down .010,now I just keep them trimmed to max length.It seems like they stretch less and usually only have to trim just a few when I'm checking my brass after resizing.

5. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

OK, so really you guys are checking the brass length and trimming to the standard or spec you wish to you use, if I am hearing correctly. Hopefully not trimming often but when required.

My brass was all a touch longer than book spec from the beginning. Lapau brass. I was thinking now that it has all been fire formed and reloaded a couple of times I would trim again. Most of the brass, with a few exceptions, is all the same length since the first fire form, which indicates very little growth and a good thing.

Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks guys.