case neck run out before and after full length resizing.

BriKW

After reading several threads concerning case neck run out, I decided to check my case necks before and after resizing. I took about 10 empty cases I shot durring this past deer season, and go ahead and decap, and resize the necks only. This was new Brass once fired in my chamber. Brass is Winchester in 30-06 springfield.

I first checked the brass before resizing, and then after. What i found was most all the brass ran between a few tenths to .001 runout and one with .002 runout after being fired in my chamber. After resizing most were within the same or better after being pulled back over the exspander ball.

I've concluded at least in my instance that the exspander ball is not pulling my necks crooked as of yet. At least for now my stem appears to be straight.

Video posted bellow.

[ame="https://youtu.be/6hVL_F3EzX4"]https://youtu.be/6hVL_F3EzX4[/ame]

Looking good.

I like to start the case neck into the neck sizing area of the full length die before I lock the die down. It self centers and helps to keep the die from causing runout.

Get a Lee Collet Neck Die. You can't introduce runout pressing against the mandrel.

Now you need to go through the same exercise after seating the bullets.

Looking good.

I like to start the case neck into the neck sizing area of the full length die before I lock the die down. It self centers and helps to keep the die from causing runout.

Get a Lee Collet Neck Die. You can't introduce runout pressing against the mandrel.

Now you need to go through the same exercise after seating the bullets.

I have a Lee collet die. Its not making them any straighter than my redding die that you see me using. Not a collet die fan myself.

Ive been having good luck out of the redding.

As a side note. Normally once I start getting crooked necks, I look at the stem. I have had to replace them before. I had a 7mm mag go south on me, and after everything else failed, I replaced the stem and got back to straight necks. Sometimes thats all it takes.

I may look into Redding bushing dies. But for now, im happy with the results i get from my full length resizing die.

I would be very excited if I got .001 - .002" runout on a hunting cartridge that is not neck turned.
I hate the collet dies, use mostly Redding and custom sizers with neck bushings. With those, I run the case up about half way, lower it and then turn the die about 45 degrees or so, and run it up again. Helps to straighten the neck.

I would be very excited if I got .001 - .002" runout on a hunting cartridge that is not neck turned.
I hate the collet dies, use mostly Redding and custom sizers with neck bushings. With those, I run the case up about half way, lower it and then turn the die about 45 degrees or so, and run it up again. Helps to straighten the neck.

Im on the fence with that technique resizing. I have used that seating bullets however.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.