Case length

steelhead613

Hello all. I have a question about case length and accuracy. I have a 300 RUM that I handload for and the case length is 3.67. A friend of mine accidentally bought 3 boxes of Nosler 300 RUM custom with the same 180 accubond I use in my handloads and since he cant return them, he just gave them to me. My question is that, with the store bought ammo about .25 shorter than my hand loads, what do you all think will be the difference in accuracy? I know I should just go shoot some and see, but I dont really have time to shoot the factory ammo and i have enough handloads for the year. I was just wondering.

Are you talking about case length or overall CARTRIDGE length?

OAL (overall cartridge length) can vary quite a bit. Just because the factory ammo is shorter than yours doesn't mean it won't shoot.

I'd say just shoot them and find out. If they don't shoot well give them to someone else or pull the bullets and save the components.

Yea, that's what I meant. OAL. Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if anyone else had maybe compared factory loads with handloads of the same bullet. Thanks again

Almost every rifle is different and there is no way of knowing unless you shoot them in your rifle. Having said that, it is usually possible to improve on factory loads for the same reason. Every rifle is unique and one size can not possibly fit all .......Rich

OAL over all length
COAL Cartridge Over All Length

OAL seems to be used for both these days. I have no idea if there is a correct or non
correct way of saying it. Just what's in my reloader manuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.